Using USB BDM Multilink with Code Warrior IDE vers 5.9

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using USB BDM Multilink with Code Warrior IDE vers 5.9

marklindsay
Contributor I

I'm totally new to Code Warrior. I have been asked to take over some legacy software which uses an HCS12 Freescale processor. I have loaded Code Warrior Version 5.9 IDE and got the system compiled and linked. Someone else from another company who has worked on this system proved it worked by downloading the software using his programmer, but we haven't managed to do it, or use the ICE, using the USB Multilink BDM which I have purchased. It just comes up with "the Target processor has no clock or wrong BDM clock speed". Any help would be appreciated.

It took several weeks to arrange this other person to help me out for a day, so going down that route is not really an option.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mark,

first please test your board on another computer and create a new project, to identify this is a hardware issue or SW issue.

When you click on debug, The P&E HC(S)12 Connection Manager comes up. If you click connect and you keep getting the message "Communication with the target failed: The target MCU has no clock or wrong BDM clock speed is used or derivative is secured" The True-Time Simulator & Real- Time Debugger window opens - Go to HC12MultilinkCyclonePro ->Unsecure

If you can not load any SW into the MCU it is more probable that the MCU is secured.
Sometimes when you change the MCU on the BDM it can happen that MCU get secure (depends on internal MCU memory configuration and the last debugger configuration). here is how to unsecure the MCU:
use external unsecure SW – can be downloaded from www.pemicro.com. (You have to create your own account to get access to Unsecure_12) Unsecure_12  ( 27932 KB): Utility which unsecures HCS12 devices via P&E's BDM Interfaces such as Cyclone-PRO, USB-ML-12, and BDM-Multilink. http://www.pemicro.com/support/download_processor.cfm

Unsecure_12 Help Files: This .hlp file describes the use and operationg of the Unsecure_12 program which is used with P&E's interface devices to unsecure proeviously secured HCS12 microcontrollers.

Please also check on your PCB schematics design: Do you have the TEST pin connected directly to GND? Do you have the MODC (BKGD) pin connected to Vcc via pull-up resistor ~3.3k? Do you have any external reset circuit or capacitor connected to MCU reset pin? Note: You should NOT connect any capacitor to MCU RESET pin (It is causing reset signal malfunction). You should NOT have any copper plane under osc. circuit. Make sure the MCU is power supplied.

Have a great day,
Zhang Jun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos