cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC5644A Reset Problem when small data size is lower than 4

rcptgc
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using MPC5644A for my application. When i set small data size in project settings below 4 bytes, i face power on reset problem. When i use debugger for reset, no problem occurs. I need to set small data size to 0.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Reply

stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I assume you are using CodeWarrior for MPC55xx/56xx.

There might be a pragma section sdata_type/sconst_type somewhere in your code ...once you set small data/data2 threshold below 4 bytes all integer data types are now considered as .data /.rodata  instead of small data/data2.

Typically this could be an issue related to the reset vector (RCHW) placement:

e.g. in the default CodeWarrior startup file (MPC55xx_init.c):

/**************************************************************/

/* RCHW and Reset Vector setup:                              */

/*  The chip is by default setup to boot from internal Flash */

/*  and the watchdog is disabled.                            */

typedef void (*resetfuncptr)(void);

#pragma push /* Save the current state */

#pragma section sconst_type ".__bam_bootarea" // <- only small data const are placed into ".__bam_bootarea"

extern const unsigned long bam_rchw;          // if the threshold is >= 4 all works fine; below 4 bam_rchw goes to .rodata

extern const resetfuncptr bam_resetvector;

In case you change small data2 threshold to 3 - bam_rchw is placed to .rodata instead of ".__bam_bootarea" and the project fails after reset (no valid RCHW found)

I'd recommend you to search all "pragma section" and if there is "sconst_type / sdata_type"  you can add "const_type / data_type" keyword to pragma to make sure the object is placed to a custom section regardless of its size.

#pragma section sconst_type const_type ".__bam_bootarea" // now all constants (regardless its size) are placed into ".__bam_bootarea"

extern const unsigned long bam_rchw;        

extern const resetfuncptr bam_resetvector;

hope it helps.

Stan