What are the gotchas involved with upgrading from KDS2/KSDK1.1 to KDS3/KSDK1.2?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the gotchas involved with upgrading from KDS2/KSDK1.1 to KDS3/KSDK1.2?

Jump to solution
dave408
Senior Contributor II

I've been writing my application code in C due to the problems with the KSDK 1.1 release.  Thankfully, upon initial testing, it looks like C++ is working with KSDK 1.2.  Now I just have to be able to open my old projects and start porting code.

The problem is that I don't know how to deal with the project update.  The only porting guide I see in the filesystem is for CodeWarrior -> KDS.

Here's what I have done so far -- I imported my KDS2/KSDK1.1 project into KDS 3 and get this message:

28149_28149.pngpastedImage_0.png

My concern was that if I add KSDK 1.1-GA to KDS 3, it'll screw up the environment in ways I won't be able to notice (i.e. things will just not work).  So I decided to instead click Continue Loading and allow PEx to perform whatever configuration conversion it wants.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  All of my components have errors in them, and I'm unable to resolve all of them.  Even the ones I have resolved (i.e. cleared the red X) I'm not sure are really fixed.

So at this point, I'm worried that I'm starting from scratch again.  I figure I'm going to have to redevelop my applications from scratch and put all of the bits and pieces together from a brand-new KDS 3 project.

Anyone else out there successfully convert their projects?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Dave,

The structure of KSDK 1.2 if different from KSDK 1.1 , so i do not recommend porting .

It is more simple create a new project on KSDK 1.2 than porting the old one to it.

Hope it helps

Alice

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Dave,

The structure of KSDK 1.2 if different from KSDK 1.1 , so i do not recommend porting .

It is more simple create a new project on KSDK 1.2 than porting the old one to it.

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos
dave408
Senior Contributor II

That's unfortunate, but kind of what I had expected after looking into it some more.  I've started my projects from scratch.

In general, this is really problematic for people developing products that need to upgrade to fix bugs or get missing features.  Is the plan to make the platform stable enough right now that future updates will facilitate project upgrades?

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

The short answer (OK...not so short) is that KDS/KSDK are new products that are maturing at a fast rate and will eventually stabilize out so that minor updates should enable simpler ports. But for this (major) update the struct as Alice points out changed much.

We apologize for the issues this brings you.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
dave408
Senior Contributor II

No worries, these things happen.  I'm just thankful for the support you guys have given all of us users.  All that matters is that our end product is robust.  :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos