AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to Disable Memory Barrier in SDMA

Question asked by turgay pamuklu on May 14, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 by turgay pamuklu

Hi,

For my I.MX6 chip, I wrote a script for SDMA core which transferred data between the arm memory and the EIM Bus (FPGA on the other side). When I run the script, I monitored that each transfer duration is approximately 5 EIM clock cycles (address+1DWord Data + wait time) and the time gaps between these transfers are around 25 EIM clock cycles. So I thought I have a performance problem and I operated the same operation by a kernel thread in ARM CPU. The timings were the same! At the end of the day, I realized that the memory barrier in write&read operation caused this tremendous gap time between the operations. So, I used writel_relaxed&readl_relaxed operations, which does not call barrier functions, and the new gap time reduced to only 4 EIM clock cycles. So, I think the same problem occurs in the SDMA operations, because the gap durations are exactly the same.

In conclusion, I would like to know if there is any configuration&method to disable memory barrier in SDMA? I saw this gap problem in every SDMA function units (Peripheral&Burst) and every type of operations (prefetch, copy mode, read and write modes...).

Best Regards.

Turgay Pamuklu.

Outcomes