AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best way to share system state data between tasks?

Question asked by Robert York on Apr 30, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 by Petr Lukas

I've got a project which has several tasks running and an overall system state I want to track (things like standby mode, whether a toggle state is in one mode or another). Normally, I would have a structure somewhere and use get and set methods to read and write to the state. With multiple tasks, it's not so simple. It seems like in MQX, there's a few ways to tackle this.

The one that immediately comes to mind is that I could send messages to get and set the state, but that becomes either a lot of messages, or passing a large state structure as a message. This is especially cumbersome if I have one task managing the state. It seems like I would have to send a message to make a change, the when another task wants to read a state, it has to send a message requesting it, then wait for the state to get shipped back. Seems like a lot of overhead. Is there something a little simpler? Perhaps sending a message when the state changes, some task updating the state somewhere, then the state is visible to all other tasks through some shared memory or a simple get_state() function call. Any thoughts or ideas here would be appreciated.

The overall concept is a task that is in charge of managing the state (so only one task can write) but anyone can read it. Seems this should be a fairly common problem, and I'm sure there's some sort of design pattern that fits this with little overhead in MQX.

Outcomes