USB Tap on Windows 8.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Tap on Windows 8.1

paul_scholz
Contributor I

I have CodeWarrior Development Studio for DSC56800/E Version 8.3, build 091203, MCF56824x_5x (Anguilla Black) Service Pack and the CodeWarrior USB Tap.

I also have a 56F8323EVM kit and a USB Tap.  I am running Windows 8.1 on a Macbook Pro (don't judge me).  Connecting the USB Tap to the laptop resulted in a driver installation and everything seemed to go fine with its installation.  The driver is windrvr6.sys provided by Jungo, dated 8/20/2007, version 9.0.  The driver installation was found under System Devices in Device Manager, however there is another entry in Device Manager, apparently for the same driver, under Jungo, a peer in the tree to System Devices.

I'm just learning the Freescale system and I decided to start with the isr demo for the eval board. I load the demo and make it, and then go to the Project menu and hit Debug (F5).  CodeWarrior attempts to load the program onto the eval board, but I get a dialog box that says:

CCSProtocolPlugin: CCS: Command Converter not present.

Of course, I have no idea what this means and Google is no help at all.

When I look at the CodeWarrior Connection Server snap-in I see an error message that says: cannot load "tgstat.tcl" file!

I do find this file in C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for DSC56800E v8.3\ccs\bin, but I have no idea why it cannot load, or if this is even relevant.

Needless to say, this is sort of a showstopper for me.  I need to be able to run code on this board.  Can anyone help?

Best,

Paul

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

CodeWarrior 8.3 was released before Windows 7, it is not verified on Windows 7 or Windows 8.

To support USBTAP debugging on Windows 7, user needs to install the new CCS update, please search 'AN4338' on Freescale's website (www.freescale.com), and follow the instructions in it to install the update.

The CCS 362 build can be downloaded from the link below:

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-102607

No changes need in CCS to support windows 8 or windows 8.1.   Windows 8 was compatible with the win 7 solution.  

I’m not sure what’s not working, but CCS (even the 362 build) should be functional.

In addition, we have another CodeWarrior tool for DSC, it is Eclipse CodeWarrior v10.6, this product supports Windows 7 & 8, and you may get more information of it from:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=CW-MCU10

v10.6  is our the latest version  that support 56800E family, I would recommend this tool.

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

paul_scholz
Contributor I

Ok, I installed and updated Eclipse CodeWarrior v10.6, and successfully imported the Processor Expert ISR demo project from my Classic Codewarrior 8.3.  It builds.  But, it doesn't download to the 56F8323EVM board via the USB TAP.

So, I created a barebones C project. It builds, but does not download to the board.  I created a barebones C and ASM project.  Same thing.  I get "Problem Occurred" dialogs that say

Error launching PaulBareboard2_NoPE_FLASH_SDM_FSL USB TAP

Bad arguments passed to function

or

Error launching PaulTest1 - sdm internal memory with pROM-to-xRAM copy - 56800E Local Hardware Connection

Sometimes I get COBRA connection error dialogs with messages like this:

Connection test failed. Reason: org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:   vmcid: SUN  minor code: 201  completed: No

This is all incomprehensible gibberish.  Searching the web for explanations of these messages yields very little.  There seem to be no tutorials or cookbooks on the web, no books you can buy on Amazon or elsewhere.  All I want to do is connect to the board and run some sort of equivalent "Hello World" program so I can at least verify that this hardware works and get on with the tasks at hand.

Freescale is very frustrating.  Do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos