New to Kinetis, ARM, KDS and need startup help

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Kinetis, ARM, KDS and need startup help

mbgadgetguru
Contributor I

Hello, I am looking for some basic help on how the Kinetis Design Studio works. I have mostly worked with 8bit micros PIC16, Atmel  but the Kinetis and KDS is taking some time to figure out how it works. I have a FRDM-KE02z device and trying to get the PIT and outputs to work correctly.    If I use the processor expert to setup the PIT and the BIT IO I cannot see how I call them.

I tried using the freescale example project for the PIT_demo and I got that to work correctly in CodeWarrior, but as soon as I try to create a new project using that as ref. the example code doesn't seem to valid. It seemed to be linked back to the demo file setups.  So I downloaded the KDS and tired the PE and having trouble getting started.

Is there a good reference for how the KDS works and is used?  I looked and cannot seem to find one that explains hows works other than you select it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

dave408
Senior Contributor II

Charles, you mentioned PEx and not KSDK, so that's what I'm going on.  But similar things apply in either situation.

After you've added your IO component, you need to configure it in the Component Inspector like this:

pastedImage_1.png

Then in your C code, you can just drag in the methods shown below the IO component, like this:

pastedImage_2.png

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Charles,

(1) I see you have CodeWarrior , so when you create PE project on KDS, you can refer to the CW PE project to configure , for they are almost the same about PE.

And on CW , there have the demo code on "Typical Usage" :

pastedImage_1.png

(2) On the view of KDS PE configuration ,  you can point to some selection , it will remainder you what's this  and show this will configure which register :

pastedImage_2.png

(3) There is a porting guide from CW to KDS , (while , sometimes for complex project , it will failure )

.    ..Freescale\KDS_2.0.0\doc\pdf\kds_porting_guide.pdf

Importing MCU V10.6 projects (sample, using PE and MQX) under KDS

Have a great day,

Alice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------