Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable or remove OSA component

Jump to solution
davidskok
Contributor III

Greetings,

I am using KDS 2.0.0 with KSDK 1.1.0 to create a basic hardware setup project for a K02 48 pin processor.  We use an in house created library that wraps FreeRTOS.  As such the way we use KDS is to generate a basic hardware project to setup clocks, pin mux, gpio, serial and A/D resources.  We write the code to install the vector handlers for FreeRTOS and resources we use and link our wrapper lib and FreeRTOS against the KDS generated hardware project.  It works fine however memory is very tight and I would like to clean out some of the stuff that KDS generates that we are not using.  Namely the bare metal OSA component.  If I delete the bare metal OSA KDS complains.  If I disable it KDS compains.  If I tell KDS not to generate it KDS complains.  How can I get rid of it?

As an aside, I attempted to create the K02 project using processor expert only but it is not possible without KSDK also enabled.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Dave

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
ondrejlutera
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

We've resolved this limitation in the PEx for KSDK 1.2.0 which will be available by the end of April.

Regards,

Ondrej

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ondrejlutera
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

We've resolved this limitation in the PEx for KSDK 1.2.0 which will be available by the end of April.

Regards,

Ondrej

0 Kudos
davidskok
Contributor III

Thanks to all for your comments, I look forward to the update.

0 Kudos
sergeisharonov
Contributor III

I've been through this exercise awhile ago. I wish Freescale would realize that any serious developer will likely want to rip out OSA, PE and buggy high level peripheral drivers. Just give us HAL drivers so that we do not need to convert documentation to header files. Well, _proper_ newlib integration would be nice too. AFAIR I started from Writing my first KSDK Application in KDS - Hello World and Toggle LED with GPIO Interrupt. That helped a lot. Thank you, Carlos.

Regards,

Sergei

davidskok
Contributor III

I agree !00%

Processor Expert and KSDK are no substitute to reading the gigantic processor user manual.  In the old days we just read the manual, figured out how we were going to make the processor do what we wanted and bit bang the registers in our drivers.  It is so easy to be lured into thinking that KDS is going to get you a complete skeleton for your app in a few clicks.  In the end you spend way more time trying to figure out how to make KDS implement what you want followed by scrutinizing the code it generated to see if it indeed is what you want and it's usable.  Simple pin muxing, clock setup and basic resource init (serial, I2C, A/D) is really all it needs to do.  If it did just that and very well then it would truly save time.  Add in a basic well documented HAL for writing drivers and all's good.

The thought behind creating KDS with all it's lofty capabilities seems like they're trying make is so easy to create an APP for a Freescale micro that an IT processional could do it.  Truth is software engineers write apps for micros and they don't have the time to learn a klunky tool on top of reading the processor manual to learn the fine details of what it's capable of doing.  A simpler tool with less capabilities would be just fine.  In order to become familiar with KDS on a deep level (if you dare) you would really need to use it day in and out for quite some time.  A consultant might do that if they favor nothing but designs using Freescale processors.  A casual user that wants a basic hardware project to get them going is using it very infrequently and when they do they're frustrated as hell trying to figure it out.

My 2%.

Dave

marek_neuzil
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello David,

You can find instructions how to remove fsl_os_abstraction component and other components from the project to use Processor Expert with Init components and HAL components only (KSDK 1.1.0).

See Low power demo application on FRDM-KL03Z board with KSDK 1.1.0

Best Regards,

Marek Neuzil

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

I tried your approach and also creating a new KDS project without KSDK and PE, and then adding in PE....but both had same result you had.

Looking through the documentation for KSDK it seems the OSA is inherently part of the KSDK.

I'll ask around though or maybe some else will chime in.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos