cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fsl_phy_driver.h documentation

Jump to solution
kalden_srcinc
Contributor IV

I am investigating what it would take to add ethernet support to the KSDK for a custom board.  I see that fsl_enet_rtcs_adapter.c requires fsl_phy_driver.h/.c to provide the low level PHY interface functions.  For the demo projects, this lives in boards/common/phyksz8041.  Looking at the code, none of this seems terribly hardware specific.  It seems to boil down to a few SMI and ENET HAL calls, so I'm not too worried about porting to my application.

That said, is there any documentation that defines exactly what functions a phy driver needs to implement and what exactly is required of it?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin,

I contacted expert for PHY driver and I received following:

Here is no deeper document for fsl_phy_driver right now, we only have the code comments for PHY driver.

There is no document that defines exactly what functions a phy driver needs to implement.

In general, PHY chip works once it is powered on even without any setting up by software and most PHY chips have similar registers lists.

The fsl_phy_driver.c provides common APIs for PHY driver. 

And the PHY speed and link status are what we (fsl_enet_rtcs_adapter.c) mainly concern about.

So when do porting, customer should check their specific PHY registers and their specific bit mask which are defined in the fsl_phy_driver.h.

I hope that helps you,

Best Regards,

Iva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin,

I contacted expert for PHY driver and I received following:

Here is no deeper document for fsl_phy_driver right now, we only have the code comments for PHY driver.

There is no document that defines exactly what functions a phy driver needs to implement.

In general, PHY chip works once it is powered on even without any setting up by software and most PHY chips have similar registers lists.

The fsl_phy_driver.c provides common APIs for PHY driver. 

And the PHY speed and link status are what we (fsl_enet_rtcs_adapter.c) mainly concern about.

So when do porting, customer should check their specific PHY registers and their specific bit mask which are defined in the fsl_phy_driver.h.

I hope that helps you,

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Kevin,

I can recommend you is KSDK 1.1. API Reference Manual,

there you have described functions for ENET.

enet_.png

But I will try to find information about PHY driver documentation and tell you more.

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos