cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC8313E I2C Undershoot

Jump to solution
heathdowling
Contributor II

We are using the MPC8313 in an application where it is the master controller to a few slave devices.  Whenever the 8313 pulls either the SDA or SCL line low, we see excessive undershoot of up to -1V and causes communication problems with one of the slave devices.  We currently have 2K pull-ups since one of the devices needs the faster 400Khz bus speed.  Even if we increase the pull-up size (5-6K) we still get an unacceptable amount of undershoot.  Putting in series resistors at the input of the MPC8313 is not an option since we do not want to re-spin the board.   I'm not seeing any current control options for the I2C GPIO pins.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Heath

0 Kudos
1 Solution
alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

According to MPC8313 Hardware Specifications, Table 3, I2C output impedance is 42 ohms and this is not configurable.

Overshoot/undershoot problem is solved by series termination on the source end or parralel termination at the far end.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

According to MPC8313 Hardware Specifications, Table 3, I2C output impedance is 42 ohms and this is not configurable.

Overshoot/undershoot problem is solved by series termination on the source end or parralel termination at the far end.

0 Kudos