Having FRDM-KE06Z Target Run When OpenSDA USB Is Plugged In

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having FRDM-KE06Z Target Run When OpenSDA USB Is Plugged In

izzni
Contributor I

I've noticed that when I connect the USB cable to the OpenSDA port on the board, the KE06Z target does not run until I launch the debugging target I am using in eclipse.

I am using the P&E GDB server (and associated SDA program on the K20 OpenSDA processor).

Is there a way I can power the board from the OpenSDA USB port and have the target run on powerup?

0 Kudos
8 Replies

adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

As David Sherman mentioned it might be a problem with the console you are setting for the project. Please refer to this thread:

Re: MK10DX256VLK7 doesn't run standalone, just when debugging. Verified it's running from FLASH, not...

Hope this information can help you

Best Regards,
Adrian Sanchez Cano
Technical Support Engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

izzni
Contributor I

So I've setup my own development environment using Eclipse CDT, the GNU Toolchain, Processor Expert Drivers, and the Eclipse Processor Expert Plugin.

I unfortunately do not see the option for I/O support when creating a project, and the "Librarian" option isn't available due to the GNU Toolchain being used instead of the Code Warrior one. I've attached an image of the includes that I am using:

PEProjectIncludes.jpg

I don't see a component that would be related to the console either:

PEProductComponents.jpg

Is it possible I need to play with the following debug settings:

PEDebugInterfaceSettings.jpg

Thanks in advance! I apologize for having a custom setup that makes it harder to figure out what I've got going on...

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi stefan,

In KDS-PE project,  please select "Console" component here :

pastedImage_0.png

And if about the FRDM-KE06Z board , please configure like this :

pastedImage_2.png

Best Regards,

Alice

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post help your question, please click the helpful Answer button.

0 Kudos

izzni
Contributor I

I attempted to try Alice's suggestion out, but I had trouble switching my prior usage of UART1 to UART0 so that I could then have the ConsoleIO use UART1 instead. In the near future I will give this another try.

Out of curiosity Alice, why would adding the ConsoleIO address the issue?

Thanks,

Stefan

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Stefan,

Have you flash your project into your board successfully?

And i have FRDM-KE06Z board  and KDS , please tell me how to recurrence your problem.

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

izzni
Contributor I

Hi Alice,

I apologize for the delay in updating, but I've finally gotten to the point where circle back to this issue.

I've found that if the P&E OpenSDA program is being used to debug the target, the target does not start when you connect the USB. If I use the USBDM OpenSDA program instead I do not have this issue, and when I connect the FRDM board via USB the target begins running without having a debugger launch it.

Since I'm moving to the USBDM as my debugging tool so that I can debug and program a slightly different KE06Z chip, I don't anticipate looking into whether the P&E OpenSDA can be configured to let the target run on power up.

Interestingly enough, I've found that USBDM causes the target to run at an incorrect clock rate. I've started a discussion of that issue here:

KE06Z Clock Rate when using USBDM

Stefan

0 Kudos

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

Not sure what to tell you since I'm unfamiliar with your environment, though it looks similar to Kinetis Design Studio.  I loathe Processor Novice (oops, "Expert") and avoid it like the plague, myself.  Can you build a ROM, load it through the mass storage interface and have it run?  The debug console was the only thing I ran into using Codewarrior that prevented it from running without the debug connection, but I never ran into this with KDS.  Does your debugger have the option of not loading the code, and just stepping through what's already loaded in flash?

0 Kudos

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

The KE06 will work fine off the USB power.  If it's not running from flash but does under debug, and you are using Codewarrior, you may have to change the project settings to use "Uart" or "No I/O" under the I/O support settings.  It won't run from flash if the option is set for "Debugger Console".

0 Kudos