Deployment of images (PXE ?)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment of images (PXE ?)

milo
Contributor II

We are working with a few sabresd. We generate linux embedded images with Yocto (using U-boot as bootloader), and we deploy it manually on SD cards. This works well for now, when we are in test phase and don't have a lot of cards. But later, it'll be definitly to slow.

We have a central server for the network of the cards. Currently, this is a simple DHCP server, affecting IP addresses depending on the MAC addresses of the cards. We'd like to make it a PXE server. But as the memories of the imx6 are totally empty (no bootloader) when received, it seems that we have to manually flash them to put U-boot, and then configure it to boot using PXE. Our problem is the same than at the beginning : it's slow.

Ideally, we'd like to plug the SBCs, and then control the deployment from the server, using a tool like Fog or DRBL/Clonezilla. Is there a way to do so easily, without flashing the SBCs one by one to install U-boot ?

If we choose PXE, how to active it in U-boot ? I have looking into it, with the options of U-boot (bootp and others), but it doesn't work.

Labels (3)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The i.MX6 internal boot ROM loader does not support the PXE boot process,
therefore it is needed to load proper bootloader (U-boot) to i.MX6-based board, using
its serial (USB) boot mode, as first stage. 

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

milo
Contributor II

I've successfully booted on a kernel downloaded by netword, using this snippet :

dhcp

tftpboot ${fdt_addr} ${fdt_file}

bootz 0x12000000 - 0x18000000

but I can't download a rootfs. Is there a way to do it ?

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think it makes sense to create separate thread for this issue.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos