Wifi hotspot with Broadcom bcm4319 wifi chipset on iMX51 board running Android 2.3 ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi hotspot with Broadcom bcm4319 wifi chipset on iMX51 board running Android 2.3 ?

harshshah
Contributor I

We have a custom board based on iMX51 running Android 2.3 and it has Broadcom bcm4319 for WiFi.

The WiFi is up and running but we don't have support for WiFi HotSpot / Soft AP mode

My first question is, is this feature hardware dependent ? Is yes how can I find out that bcm4319 supports Soft AP or not ? I tried to google it but couldn't find anything.

Also, if it is supported on hardware where can I get the new firmware (*.bin) file ? Are there any repositories or do I need to contact Broadcom directly ?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Since Android 2.2, the hotspot capability is already included by default on Android itself. So, if you want to use a specific Wi-Fi chip, it is a better option to ask to the silicon manufacturer about supporting this capability (in this case, Broadcom), and also for requesting the proper driver for the integration with the kernel for hardware support.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos