AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to avoid aliasing artifacts using X11/GLES2 to display interlaced YUYV camera output?

Question asked by vikash patil on Mar 10, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 by John Li

Hi Community,

I have a requirement where I need to display camera capture (interlaced YUYV) using v4l2 capture/X11/GLES2.0. I am able to write a test application which captures via v4l2 capture apis and using X11/GLES able to show it. However the displayed image doesn't look smooth, instead I am seeing jaggy (saw kind)/aliasing artifacts.

Some more information:

- Camera outputs CVBS NTSC format. here it is interlaced YUYV

- I am using glTexDirectVIV() extension with GL_VIV_YUY2 input format.

See the attached bmp image with artifacts here.

artifact.bmp

If I try imx-test/mxc_4l2_tvin.out test with "-m 2 or -m 0" option, camera capture image is coming correctly (smooth).

./mxc_v4l2_tvin.out -ow 800 -oh 480 -f YUYV -m  (Result: aliasing kind artifacts)

./mxc_v4l2_tvin.out -ow 800 -oh 480 -f YUYV -m 0 (Result: Good)

./mxc_v4l2_tvin.out -ow 800 -oh 480 -f YUYV -m 1 (Result: aliasing kind artifacts)

./mxc_v4l2_tvin.out -ow 800 -oh 480 -f YUYV -m 2 (Result: Good)

Looking at the source of mxc_v4l2_tvin.c, it seems following code makes camera capture to come correctly on display. Which in turn sets required value to VDI Control register (i.e. IPU_VDI_C) when v4l2 output path is getting used.

"output_buf.field =  V4L2_FIELD_INTERLACED_BT;"

I captured the VDI Control register value and tried to set it using devmem before running my application as follows but it didn't help.

i.e.

#devmem 0x2668004 32 0x42083332

Could anyone give some ideas/inputs/suggestions to avoid artifacts using X11/GLES2.0?

Is there anyway to use the IPU VDI functionality as above (i.e. mxc_v4l2_tvin) with the output/display pipeline with X11/GLES2.0/EGL/FB?

Thanking you all in advance and waiting for replies.

Regards,

Vikash

Outcomes