cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting started

robertalexander
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm looking to switch to the Kinetis chips from PIC32s. My plan is to make my own boards with the MKE06Z128VLD4 and program them with the FRDM-KE06Z. I would use Kinetis Design Studio.

I've looked through the data sheet and reference manual (admittedly just the table of contents) and have not found a schematic for the minimum circuit requirements to get the MKE06Z128VLD4 running (power, ground, bypass caps, SWD connections). Is there such a document available?

I've also seen mixed claims about the Freedom boards' use as SWD programmer/debuggers. Is the FRDM-KE06Z OpenSDA locked to program only specific Kinetis chips, or can it work with any Kinetis? (Probably too much to hope that it can work with any ARM.)

Thank you,

Bob

0 Kudos
2 Replies

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

Hi Bob, I'm using the KE06128VLH4.  It does not have a lot of requirements for getting it going.  Only 2 sets of power pins for the core, 1 set for the analog supply.  If you don't need CAN, you don't need a crystal.  The internal clock source isn't stable enough for CAN.   Bear in mind OpenSDA needs another Kinetis microcontroller providing the debugging interface; you would do well to just put the 10 pin header on your production board and use a separate debugger.  The OpenSDA is convenient for the FRDM-KE06 board, though you can also populate the debug connector on it and use a separate debugger.  I never had any problem using a P&E Multilink with the FRDM-KE06 board; I think the only thing I had to do was remove R35 to run the KE06 at 5 volts, which leaves the OpenSDA out of the picture.

One thing I found the hard way that I'll pass on; if you're using the SPI, the default SPI0_MISO pin (pin 13 on the 44-pin part) also happens to be the NMI pin after reset, and you would do well to put a pull down resistor on it to avoid any unpleasantness.

The SWD header only needs VDD, VSS, /reset, swd_dio, and swd_clk for debugging.

Edit:  I forgot, the only glitch I had with using OpenSDA with the FRDM-KE06 involved updating the OpenSDA.  Seems to me the default firmware that it comes with only provides the mass storage interface for loading firmware into the target processor; I had to load a different firmware image to get both the mass storage interface and the debug interface.  It's not hard to do, but I did have to download something from Freescale to get the update.

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bob,

You can design the minimum circuit for MKE06Z128VLD4 by referring to the SCH of the FRDM-KE06Z board and you needn't to consider some extra requirements.

I've sharing a thread with you about using the Freedom board as SWD program and please refer to it for details.

David also shared much experience and it's very helpful for accelerating start with Kinetis MCU.

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/04/21/using-the-freedom-board-as-jtag-programmer/
Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------