cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does exist a GNU Toolchain for Coldfire V2 to be integrated with CodeWarrior

Jump to solution
pablo_m85
Contributor I

Hi everyone, I´m starting a new project in a job where they have a PCB with a MCF52259, this is a Coldfire V2 MCU, and we are using a Multilink Universal BDM as debbugguing inteface. We are discussing if we buy a comercial License to use the CodeWarrior integrated-licenced toolchain or if we go out to find a GNU toolchain and reduce the cost of the licence (probably increasing development time).

Until now, I´ve seen that nobody has a clear answer to this. I´m specially looking foward to avoid dead-time trying to setup/integrate all the GNU toolchain and specially I´m looking foward to use GDB (again, avoiding dead-time or failing in the attempt).

I´m using CodeWarrior 10.6 running on Win7-64bits.

Have anybody tried something like this before?

As a comment, It´s late to change to Kinetis (GNU Oriented), but probably will be the consideration for the next project.

Thanks.

Regards.

Pablo

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Pablo,

When you create a new project with the wizard the system will propose you to have a linux or bareboard project.

pastedImage_1.png

Linux is available for MCF V2 architecture.

Problem the debugger defined by:

pastedImage_3.png

The Multilink interface is supported by Bareboard project only.

Do you need to purchase a suite ?

By default the Special Edition allows you up to V2–V4 ColdFire: 128 KB.

Now it seems you're looking for a solution similar to the bareboard project but using GNU tool instead of CodeWarrior compiler.

Am I right ?

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Pablo,

When you create a new project with the wizard the system will propose you to have a linux or bareboard project.

pastedImage_1.png

Linux is available for MCF V2 architecture.

Problem the debugger defined by:

pastedImage_3.png

The Multilink interface is supported by Bareboard project only.

Do you need to purchase a suite ?

By default the Special Edition allows you up to V2–V4 ColdFire: 128 KB.

Now it seems you're looking for a solution similar to the bareboard project but using GNU tool instead of CodeWarrior compiler.

Am I right ?

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
pablo_m85
Contributor I

Dear Pascal,

Thanks for your answer.

I´ve checked what you said and verify that it´s not possible to use the Multilink Interface for a GNU Project (Linux project wizard).

Regarding the 128K limit size, I´m worried about because we need to use lot of memory for images to be displayed in a 320X240 LCD. We are using eGUI, that consumes 64KB (worst case), so we surely will have problems with that. But we are now taking a different way, where we will store some of the images in a SD-Card or external memory.

Regarding the Linux project possibility, how can we debbug that kind of projects?

Thanks for your support.

Regards.

Pablo

0 Kudos