AnsweredAssumed Answered

iMX28 Errata 2858 USB controller may access a wrong address for the dTD (endpoint transfer descriptor) and then hangs

Question asked by markwilliams on Feb 21, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 by markwilliams

Hi,

I am currently trying to fix various issues with the Windows CE BSP for the i.MX28 in order to support reliable USB high speed transfer to a memory stick. I have found that some memory enumerate ok and others fail during large (256k) scsi transfers. I get a BOT_DataTransfer Warning similar to below:

BOT_DataTransfer warning(6.7.x.3, RequestLength:262144 TransferLength:6144 Err:0 UsbErr:0x4, dwTimeout:36214)

Some memory sticks enumerate ok but then fail during large (>1M) file writes.

During my investigation I have been checking the various chip errata. I have implemented a fix for ENGR119653 USB: ARM to USB register error issue by using an assembly file to use a SWP instruction for all register writes. I have also checked the Errata ENGR119650 USB: USB core INCR8 and INCR16 modes are inoperable by determining that the BSP uses mode setting of 6 and not the 2 or 3 setting that the errata warns against.

The final errata is 2858 USB controller may access a wrong address for the dTD (endpoint transfer descriptor) and then hangs. First of all I need to clarify if this errata and 119650 are mutually exclusive. There is a comment that says "This issue only occurs in USB INCR8 mode, because steps 1 and 2 have 6 SINGLE AHB transfers in INC8 mode, but only two burst AHB transfers in INCR mode".

Now according to the latest reference manual revision these are the available modes:

AMBA AHB BURST.

This field selects the following options for the m_hburst signal of the AMBA master interface:

0x0 U_INCR — INCR burst of unspecified length.

0x1 S_INCR4 — INCR4, non-multiple transfers of INCR4 will be decomposed into singles.

0x2 S_INCR8 — INCR8, non-multiple transfers of INCR8 will be decomposed into INCR4 or singles.

0x3 S_INCR16 — INCR16, non-multiple transfers of INCR16 will be decomposed into INCR8, INCR4 or

singles.

0x4 RESERVED — This value is reserved and should not be used.

0x5 U_INCR4 — INCR4, non-multiple transfers of INCR4 will be decomposed into smaller unspecified

length bursts.

0x6 U_INCR8 — INCR8, non-multiple transfers of INCR8 will be decomposed into smaller unspecified

length bursts.

0x7 U_INCR16 — INCR16, non-multiple transfers of INCR16 will be decomposed into smaller

unspecified length bursts.

So with regards to the comment in Errata 2858 which are the INCR8 modes and which INC8? I can only see S_INCR8 and U_INCR8 listed? As the CE BSP uses U_INCR8 is this the mode that affects Errata 2858?

If this Errata needs to be fixed for the iMX28 Windows CE 6.0 BSP I am wondering if anyone can advise on what changes to make. I have looked at the Linux code fix for this that uses POSTPONE_FREE_LAST_DTD define. It seems straight forward. I have tried to find the point in the Windows CE BSP to add this but not sure. I have been looking at:

C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\COMMON\src\soc\COMMON_FSL_V2_PDK1_9\MS\USBH\EHCI\trans.cpp

I hope someone can help clarify if the errata applies and how to proceed.

Mark

Outcomes