What is the use of a package manager for Yocto build?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the use of a package manager for Yocto build?

bhaumikbhatt
Contributor II

Hi,

I am using Yocto daisy for imx6sabrelite.

I want to know if I can use a package manager and point to a specific repo for "armv7a-vfp-neon" binaries. Currently, by using "package-management" as an extra_image_feature, I have rpm (by default) in my rootfs. I could use apt or opkg instead of rpm as my package manager for the Yocto build as well.

Since this is for an educational purpose, I would want to get a build in place and have students use a package manager to get basic packages installed on the system such as nano or emacs or vim or anything else.

Has anyone had success in finding a repository that enlists either rpm or deb packages, which the package manager can point to and get "armv7a-vfp-neon" binaries from?

Please help!

Tagging Leo:

LeonardoSandovalGonzalez

Labels (4)
Tags (3)
4 Replies

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

gusarambula can you share some light on this issue?

0 Kudos

bhaumikbhatt
Contributor II

I got it working to an extent although I would like more help later if possible.

As of now, I found a way to get what I need and right now it is hitting this particular link, which is the list of available packages for Angstrom embedded linux distribution (used by Beaglebone etc): http://feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/core/ipk/eglibc/armv7a-vfp-neon/base/

I removed rpm and installed opkg (emdebian based) for ipk packages. After which, I added that link above to /etc/opkg/base-feeds.conf.

I ran update and successfully installed nano!

My questions are: When I do opkg print-architecture the output shows all, armv5, armv7a, etc. Does that mean any of those packages built for those listed architectures will work in my system?

Any other links for packages lists/repository I can use as "feeds"? Does anyone have an idea?

In local.conf, if I use PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_ipk", it lists everything installed on the system so that I can also do an upgrade (which would upgrade all packages in the system).

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I’m glad you made progress.

The print-architecture would mean that the package have the necessary dependencies to work on all those architectures. As long as you are using one of the supported architectures it should work on your system.

bhaumikbhatt
Contributor II

Thanks gusarambula,

Any other links for packages lists/repository I can use as "feeds"? Do you have an idea?

Is it feasible to use a package manager like apt after choosing PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_deb"?

0 Kudos