AnsweredAssumed Answered

ALSA i2s-master on 3.10.17

Question asked by Josh Kurland on Feb 18, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 by Caio Pereira

Hello,

I am developing an ALSA audio driver in 3.10.17 which will drive a GS1672 HD-SDI transmitter with audio embedding over i2s.  I have written the new codec and machine layers based on the imx-sgtl5000 reference design, but I am running into a dma issue when I use the new sound device with an application such as gstreamer or aplay. 

The ALSA driver gets probed and registered successfully:

imx-gs1672 sound.22:  gs1672 <-> 2028000.ssi mapping ok

ALSA device list:

#0: imx-gs1672

#1: imx-spdif

#2: imx-hdmi-soc

$ aplay -D hw:0,0 piano2.wav

Playing WAVE 'piano2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo

aplay: pcm_write:1262: write error: Input/output error

I have traced the bug to fsl_ssi_trigger(), the error appears to occur right after

[fsl_ssi_trigger]

playback write error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)

[fsl_ssi_trigger]

[imx_gs1672_free]

The host (imx6q) has been configured to operate as i2s-master in order to transmit the bit and LR clocks to the GS1672 audio chip.  The GS1672 is not able to produce a clock of its own, and must be used as a slave.  Therefore the dai_fmt is set to use SND_SOC_DAIFMT_CBS_CFS, and I have flipped the audmux int and ext ports.  In the device tree, ssi1 has been changed from i2s-slave to i2s-master.  What other changes are necessary to support i2s-master? 

Recently I have noticed commits in Linux mainline addressing dma issues and i2s-master support in /sound/soc/fsl_ssi.c.  This makes me wonder, is i2s-master actually possible on 3.10.17?

Thank you,

Josh K.

Outcomes