It is possible to understand the Software state at the moment the node stops working. For this, you need to follow the next steps:
- Identify which node is the one that stopped.
- Connect the JTAG to that node. Make sure you connect the JTAG in a way the Vdd pin is connected first, so the device won’t RESET in the process.
- Open IAR 5.50 and start debugging without downloading.
- Once you are in the debugger window, you need to extract/dump the memory state into a .s file. à Right click in the “Memory” window. Then choose “memory save” option.
- Choose Motorola or Motorola S19 as file format. Choose the memory address window you want to save: from 0x400000 to 0x417D00, you are including all RAM memory.
Now using the “.map” file, you may understand how the functions and variables were placed in the memory. This will be great help to understand what is going on within the sw stack.