cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the purpose of fb0base?

Jump to solution
oussama
Contributor III

The 'Android_User's_Guide.pdf' tells to add to the kernel boot arguments the parameter "fb0base=0x27b00000". what is used for?

I have board with 2G ram/imx6q and running android 4.4.2, I did not specify this fb0base, and I have a crash of null pointer. Could this be relevant to the fb0base?

Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
saurabh206
Senior Contributor III

fb0base is a kernel command line to specify fb0 base address to be 0x27b00000, so that kernel can use a reserved fb memory starting from this address.

This address is used in uboot fb.

To support smooth UI transition from uboot to kernel, this fb memory has to be reserved by kernel, otherwise, it is likely to be overwritten by others, so kernel will

go on using this block of memory to save memory usage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
saurabh206
Senior Contributor III

fb0base is a kernel command line to specify fb0 base address to be 0x27b00000, so that kernel can use a reserved fb memory starting from this address.

This address is used in uboot fb.

To support smooth UI transition from uboot to kernel, this fb memory has to be reserved by kernel, otherwise, it is likely to be overwritten by others, so kernel will

go on using this block of memory to save memory usage.

0 Kudos
CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Patel,

Thanks for your contribution to Freescale Community!

Additional details?
android-imx6-kitkat/0070-ENGR00223797-MX6-SabreSD-Add-fb0-base-addr-to-kernel.patch at master · rabe...

Best regards!

/Carlos

0 Kudos