Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAI bus clock selection

Jump to solution
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

I tried to verify which clock exactly is slected by the SAI bus clock selection (TCR2[MSEL]=0).

Let's start from the obvious: When I set TCR2[MSEL] = 01, I get the clock defined CCM_CSCMR1[SAIn_CLK_SEL], more over the whole logic including the gate CCM_CSCDR1[SAIn_EN] and the divider CCM_CSCDR1[SAIn_DIV] works as documented in Chapter 9.10.12 SAI clocking.

However, when switching to TCR2[MSEL] = 00, unexpectetly the output clock does not change. Also, when I use the gate from above (CCM_CSCDR1[SAIn_EN]) my bit clock gets disabled too, hence it looks like the two MSEL are actually the same SAIn clocks, as configured in CSCMR1 and friends. Is this really the case or am I missing something? IMHO, the documentation is somewhat unclear if Bus Clock actually really selects the SAIn clock too...

--

Stefan

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!
0 Kudos
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan,

No other setting just TCR2[MSEL] and if TCR2[MSEL]=1 then CCM_CSCMR1 is used:

pastedImage_3.png

Please check if TE is enabled. TCR2 register must not be altered when TCSR[TE] is set.

You can also check clocks using 10.2.14 CCM Clock Output Source Register (CCM_CCOSR)

/Jiri

0 Kudos
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

Hi Jiri,

Sorry, maybe I was a bit unclear, but this does not really answer my question. I do get an output clock. my concern is the possible selection using TCR2[MSEL]

My question is: Which clock is used if TCR2[MSEL] is b00. According to the reference manual, chapter 3.11.1.2.3 "SAI transmitter and receiver options for MCLK selection", table Table 3-30, b00 is "Bus Clock". However, it looks like it is the same as when using b01, hence not bus clock, but clock selected by SAIn_CLK_SEL...

--

Stefan

0 Kudos
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan,

if TCR2[MSEL] == 0 then it is bus clock (IPS bus clock), which is 133-166MHz/2 if IPG_CLK_DIV=2

if TCR2[MSEL] == 1 then is used clock defined in CCM_CSCMR1 so it can be External clock, SPDIF clk or PLL4 Main clk.

please check if TE is enabled - TCR2 register must not be altered when TCSR[TE] is set.

/Jiri

0 Kudos
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

Hi Jiri,

I explicitly write a 0x0 to TCSR, then change TCSR[MSEL] to b00, and enable TE again, however, I still get 73.735MHz. I also tried from the reset state, by setting TCSR[MSEL] to 0 before ever enabling the transmitter.

The measured clock with TCSR[MSEL] b00 is 73.725MHz, which seems to be the SAI clock. PLL Audio is at it's default value of 1176MHz divided by the 8 using CCM_CACRR[PLL4_CLK_DIV] and another 2 by the minimal divider of SAI. I would expect 83.3MHz/2 as output on my module (500MHz system clock, 166MHz bus clock => 83.3MHz IPG clock).

--

Stefan

0 Kudos
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan,

I can try it later, but if you select TCR2[MSEL] == 0 and IPG_CLK_DIV=2 and platform clock is 150MHz then IPB bus clock is 75 MHz. - this is correct.

What is your configuration in TCR2[MSEL] == 1 ?

/Jiri

0 Kudos
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

Hi Jiri,

The platform clock is 166MHz, hence I would epxect ~41.6MHz as output clock (/2 due to IPG, /2 in SAI).

When using TCR2[MSEL] = b01, we use PLL4 main clock at 1176MHz with CCM_CACRR[PLL4_CLK_DIV] divider of 8.

--

Stefan

0 Kudos
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan,

I will try it. Will create test project with clockout and measure it in WW8. If you have code which you can share and which does not work for you - upload it please.

/Jiri

0 Kudos
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

What we use is basically the driver in mainline Linux kernel I pointed to above in the answer to Alejandro. I just tried to use the bus clock instead of the SAI clock.

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

alejandrolozano can you  continue with the follow up?

0 Kudos
alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi falstaff, karinavalencia

Sure, I just tested with MQX and just like Stefan mentioned the MCLK does not change modifyng the MSEL bit.

jiri-b36968 I wonder if you have some baremetal project Stefan and I can use to test and narrow down the possible issue.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

falstaff
Senior Contributor I

Hi Alejandro,

Sorry, I do not have a bare metal project. This appeared while working on a Linux SAI driver. I also do not have DS-5 development environment setup up to create a bare metal project quickly.

To me, it really looks like a hardware issue...

--

Stefan

0 Kudos
alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan,

I  asked jiri-b36968 if there is some validation code we can use as reference. That will help to identify it is a hardware issue. If you do not have DS-5 I can test it for you.

/Alejandro

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

jiri-b36968 any comment?

0 Kudos
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alejandro,

Here is some test code.

Easier way it will be connect debugger and measure it on clockout (CCM module).

/Jiri

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

falstaff can you share the status here?

0 Kudos
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

Sorry, I was not aware that actions from my side are currently required. I do not have DS-5 installed... alejandrolozano can you test the validation code?

0 Kudos
alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan,

I have double checked the previous code of MQX and using as reference the code Jiri sent I noticed that I was not measuring correctly.

The setting to choose a different clock works. I was using a different SAI instance and therefore I never noticed the change.

You can measure that change too with this code in the PTB11 pad.

I my case I try to see an externa audio clock, but there is not exist such source clock and therefore I do not see a clock output. This all means that the clock change works and it is not a hw problem.

/*CKO outputs via PTB11 PTB10 */
         IOMUXC_RGPIO(32) = 0x00603062;
         IOMUXC_RGPIO(33) = 0x00603062;
         CCM_CCOSR = 0x040F07C7

Which code you have changed in Linux BSP? I will check it out

Best Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

Hi Alejandro,

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I did not try to use CKO1 to access SAI0 clock, quite possible that this is working. The problem does not seem to be the CCM_CSCMR1[SAIn_CLK_SEL] selection, but within the SAI IP itself.

The clock selection I'm trying to  switch is SAIx_TCR2[MSEL]....

When using TCR2[MSEL] = 01, I expect the clock defined in CCM_CSCMR1 so it can be External clock, SPDIF clk or PLL4 Main clk. => This works fine!

When using TCR2[MSEL] = 00, I expect bus clock (IPS bus clock) as SAI input clock => This does not work. I get the same clock as when using 01 (like above)

So, what I'm saying is, that TCR2[MSEL] = 00 does not allow to select the IPS bus clock as documented...

--

Stefan

0 Kudos
alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan and Karina,

In fact I was going to test the validation code Jiri sent, but last week I was swamped.

I will start testing today. I will let you know my findings Stefan.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos