Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very very slow build with KDS on some Windows computers

Jump to solution
davidalain
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm working on a project using a FRDM-K64F board with Kinetis Design Studio v1.1.1 and Kinetis SDK v1.0.0.

On my laptop I can build my project fastly (using parallel build), but on some other computers using the same version of tools the build runs very very slow.

The normal time to build the whole project is almost 20 seconds, but on some other computers with similar hardware and same tools the build time is bigger than 5 minutes.

It is almost impossible to work this way.

Anyone knows any issue about KDS, GCC used by KDS or something tool that can cause this weird problem?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
davidalain
Contributor II

After various tests I could find the problem :smileyhappy:

The problem is the security module IBM Security Trusteer Rapport that my bank uses to provide a safe access to the bank site.

After I uninstalled it the build works very fast again.

When using parallel build, one instance of GCC is called to build each file and I think this security module was scanning each instance of GCC.

My project has more than 100 files to build and each file took more than 30 seconds to be compiled because of that software :smileysad:

Thanks for the help, David Seymour.

I was already using parallel build that way in the post.

I think this post can help other users with similar problems.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Thank you very much, David, for tracking this down, this has been plaguing me for a long while now. After removing Rapport everything builds MUCH faster. Cheers, Peter

0 Kudos
jschepler
Contributor III

David,

Thanks for asking your question and providing the answer.  It inspired me to find the solution for my problem as well.

I am on a Windows 7 64-bit CAD station with 6 cores and 48-GB of RAM.  I also have the program TrendMicro OfficeScan running in the background.  When TrendMicro is running my build times are around 45 seconds.  However, the more times I build and debug in the same session then it eventually gets to a point where KDS crashes and build times go to 8+ minutes and the debugger will never connect to the PEmicro multi link.  The only way to solve this is to restart my PC.

When I disabled TrendMicro my build time went to 4 seconds; a clean and then build took me 16 seconds.  No issues so far with connecting to the debugger.

Again, thanks for posting!!

0 Kudos
bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

When using some versions of GCC if there are directories in the path that do not actually exists, GCC can take a *VERY* long time to compile anything.

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

Please review following post:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/05/25/reducing-build-time-in-eclipse-with-parallel-build/

Also a great blog to sign up for.

Regards,

David

davidalain
Contributor II

After various tests I could find the problem :smileyhappy:

The problem is the security module IBM Security Trusteer Rapport that my bank uses to provide a safe access to the bank site.

After I uninstalled it the build works very fast again.

When using parallel build, one instance of GCC is called to build each file and I think this security module was scanning each instance of GCC.

My project has more than 100 files to build and each file took more than 30 seconds to be compiled because of that software :smileysad:

Thanks for the help, David Seymour.

I was already using parallel build that way in the post.

I think this post can help other users with similar problems.