Using Git

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Git

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

Okay, feeling a little silly here, but I must be missing something.  According to the Eclipse Marketplace, Git is already part of KDS.  I figured out how to make a repository, and I can open the Git perspective.  The problem is that the Eclipse Git documentation is referring to command line commands to use it.  If I try to use these commands, it can't find any command called "git", and I can't find a git.exe anywhere.  The Git perspective doesn't appear to have a means to add files to the repository.  Is there some KDS-specific documentation for the Git that comes with it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

David,

there are some information at the links:

ErichStyger/mcuoneclipse · GitHub

http://eclipse.dzone.com/articles/mcuoneclipse-component-sources

There is default "Eclipse" help in KDS for Git.

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

Thanks, but I am already looking at the Eclipse documentation in KDS, and as I said, it refers to this "git" command line interface.  I can't find it anywhere and the commands the documentation refers to don't work.  Also, there is no mention of "github", is that something that has to be installed?  I was under the impression that KDS comes with git already.  Does it have to be installed separately?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Eclipse comes with base infrastructure for version control systems, and KDS is not exception to that.

But it does not come with a dedicated client. You can pick and choose the one you want.

So if you want to work with Git, then you need two things:

- the Git shell and tools. You can get from multiple sources, and one way is to install Git for Windows (or whatever platform you use) from GitHub for Windows

- Above comes with a shell/console plus a Windows standalone client. If you want to use it integrated with Eclipse, then download one of the available Git clients for Eclipse. For example I'm using eGit. For CodeWarrior users, see Installing eGit in Eclipse and CodeWarrior for MCU10.4 | MCU on Eclipse. For KDS (which is using Kepler in V2.0.0 you can use eGit (EGit, use the 'download' button).

- Additionally, I'm using another standalone client on my machine: SourceTree (Free Mercurial and Git Client for Windows and Mac | Atlassian SourceTree) because eGit is ok, working with non-projects it is better to have a dedicated client. There are other git clients available too.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich, thanks for the info.  Still scratching my head on a few things.  According to Eclipse, I already have EGit.  Is this not the same thing?  I'm trying to follow the EGit Getting Started guide (EGit/User Guide - Eclipsepedia), but it's referring to selections under "preferences" and "file" on creating the repository, but I don't have a "preferences" tab, even if I turn on the Git perspective.  I don't have anything called "Team" under "file" either.  Are these in Github?

screencap1.png

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

so you must have installed eGit, as it does not come installed by default in KDS (I have it installed on my end too, but I quickly tried a clean install, and the Eclipse market place does not show it installed (as in your screenshot)).

So yes, this eGit is the eGit client I'm using too.

And I think you mean the menu Window > Perspective > Team Synchronizing? This is the perspective specialized for version control.

Erich

0 Kudos

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

Ah hah!!  Okay, personally I think the Egit documentation that came with KDS isn't very good, when it refers to things like team->share project, it seems to skip over the part about where to find that, but I found it by right-clicking on the project tab.  Okay!  Now it's starting to make sense.  I was able to create an empty repository using the file->new->other from KDS, and now if I try to use team->share project it finds the empty repository, so I think I may be on my way now.

Git is very new to me, I'm more familiar with SCCS and Perforce.  Thanks for the tip on the Team Synchronizing window.

0 Kudos