TFTP server configuration to prep for LTIB

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFTP server configuration to prep for LTIB

slouchez
Contributor I

In the guide "Setting Up a Linux Host for LTIB..." we have the instruction (section 1.7)

"...

Install atftpd by running:

sudo aptitude -y install atftpd

Configure atftpd by editing /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/default/atftpd.

In both files, change the default export path (it is either /usr/var/tftpboot or /var/lib/tftpboot) to / or whatever other directory

you want to be able to download from.

..."

However when I go to these files I have this content

[1] etc/inetd.conf

tftp   dgram    udp4    wait    nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd --tftpd-timeout 300 --retry-timeout 5 --mcast-port 1758 --mcast-addr 239.239.239.0-255 --mcast-ttl 1 --maxthread 100 --verbose=5 /srv/tftp

[2] etc/default/atftpd

USE_INETD=true

OPTIONS="--tftpd-timeout 300 --retry-timeout 5 --mcast-port 1758 --mcast-addr 239.239.239.0-255 --mcast-ttl 1 --maxthread 100 --verbose=5 /srv/tftp"

Nothing there I can make any sense of...What should I edit? What does this have to do with the contents of the GET and PUT commands to be used later??

what is the difference between atftp and tftp?

Thank you

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It installed atftpd the same way as you and got it not working too. Then I made sure that this service is added to inetd configuration but inetd is not running and even not installed on the machine. I suppose you have the same situation.

Then I installed xinetd instead and added atftpd into its configuration with following steps:

# apt-get install xinetd

# cat > /etc/xinetd.d/tftpd
service tftp
{
protocol        = udp
port            = 69
socket_type     = dgram
wait            = yes
user            = nobody
server          = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
server_args     = /tftpboot
disable         = no
}

# /etc/init.d/xinetd restart

And finally I connected tftp service fine.

By the way to make sure that tftp server is up you can run tftp client (its binary is mamed tftp) and connect to the machine itself. You can use "localhost" address or the IP:

vik@tecno:~$ tftp 192.168.2.178
tftp> get file
Received 6 bytes in 0.0 seconds
tftp

Have a great day,
Victor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos