cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing variables in different formats

Jump to solution
tharonhall
Contributor IV

I can't believe I am asking about something that should be so trivial, but I suspect I must be missing something.

I can view variables in KDS when I am debugging but they are ALWAYS viewed as hex. Sure, I can see the data values in different formats below. What would be especially helpful is to see chars as ASCII characters.

Is this not just build-in? Do I need a plug-in to do this. BTW. I have installed Erich's plug-in to view variables but its not clear that anything is different. Perhaps his plug-in is the solution and I just need to know how to get it working?

Thanks!!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Tharon,

With CW10.6 it as more straightforward to Right Click on the variable and change the "format" to whatever you want.

With KDS you can set global default from the properties window (Debugging Variables in Hexadecimal with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse):

ScreenHunter_109 Jan. 23 09.52.gif

Or locally in the variable window (Variable Debugging with Eclipse Kepler | MCU on Eclipse) :

ScreenHunter_110 Jan. 23 09.54.gif

I found these by review an excellent Blog (MCU on Eclispe by Erich Styger): MCU on Eclipse | Everything on Eclipse, Microcontrollers and Software

I highly recommend all Kinetis users to "Follow BLOG via Email".

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Tharon,

With CW10.6 it as more straightforward to Right Click on the variable and change the "format" to whatever you want.

With KDS you can set global default from the properties window (Debugging Variables in Hexadecimal with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse):

ScreenHunter_109 Jan. 23 09.52.gif

Or locally in the variable window (Variable Debugging with Eclipse Kepler | MCU on Eclipse) :

ScreenHunter_110 Jan. 23 09.54.gif

I found these by review an excellent Blog (MCU on Eclispe by Erich Styger): MCU on Eclipse | Everything on Eclipse, Microcontrollers and Software

I highly recommend all Kinetis users to "Follow BLOG via Email".

Regards,

David

tharonhall
Contributor IV

OK, I am not sure why, but it's like all of a sudden it"got smart". I followed the instructions and discovered that the down arrow is the key to changing the format. After playing with it, now value shows an ASCII string when a pointer is pointing to a char array and it even shows meaningful values, such as "StringMsg::AVAILABLE" in my case.

The funny thing was it wasn't doing that before. Odd, but glad it's working. :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

All these changes or 'smartness' comes with the Eclipse Kepler used in Kinetis Design Studio.

0 Kudos
tharonhall
Contributor IV

Yes, sure, but for some odd reason it wasn't doing it for a long time, then out of the blue it started working. ???

0 Kudos