cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best debugging solution inside KDS

Florijan
Contributor III

Hello,

I was using CodeWArrior for many years and I liked it because of strong debugging capabilities. Now when I am trying to develop my first KDS project I can see that debugging capabilities are much weaker. Inside debugging window I can't see peripheral registers, memory locations etc. I am using P&E multilink universal. My questions are: are there some addons inside KDS to improve debugging capabilities or do I have to buy a different in circuit debugging hardware like USBDM? What is the best software and/or hardware debugging solution inside KDS?

best regards,

Florijan

Labels (1)
4 Replies

takaoyamada
Contributor IV

Greetings,

Codewarrior is a commercial tool, while KDS is a free but powerful tool. There are going to be features found in Codewarrior that may not be available in a freeware.

Concerning memory location, go to the "Window" menu -> Show View -> Memory/Memory Browser.

P&E's contribution to KDS is the flash programming and run control when using P&E hardware interface. The peripheral registers are the responsibility of the Freescale IDE team. So even if you switch hardware, you will still run into the same problem with not being able to view any peripheral registers.

Takao Yamada

P&E MIcrocomputer Systems

0 Kudos

tharonhall
Contributor IV

Hello, Florigan,

I am new to KDS, and Eclipse development in general. One benefit of being built on Eclipse is the strength and availability of Eclipse plug-ins. However, I don't know if debugging is so specific that there is a benefit or not. You might consider looking at Eclipse plug-ins. Please let the community know if you find any success so we can all benefit. I will do the same.

Best of Luck!

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

MCU on Eclipse blog by Erich Styger has many tips-n-tricks to review.

One has plug-in to see Registers:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/06/13/embsys-registers-view-supporting-dimelementgroup-of-cmsis-svd/

Regards,

David

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

there is a follow-up article which includes instructions how to install the latest plugin/patch (v0.3) here:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/09/27/updated-eclipse-embsysreg-viewer-with-extra-freescale-svd-files/

Erich