About protection circuit for the USB VBUS/BP/BM signals to protect the latch-up in i.MX6DQ.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About protection circuit for the USB VBUS/BP/BM signals to protect the latch-up in i.MX6DQ.

Jump to solution
keitanagashima
Senior Contributor I

Dear Sir or Madam,

Hello.

My customer assume the case of connecting the USB OTG device with no input the power to i.MX6.

Until a power is supplied to MX6 from PMIC, is it necessary to design a protection circuit to the i.MX6DQ's USB VBUS/BP/BM signals, to protect the latch-up occurrence?

(BTW, the protection circuit isn't implemented on FSL's SABRE board)

Best Regards,

Keita

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!
0 Kudos
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The USB OTG protection circuit is implemented on the i.MX6 SABRE SD board. Please refer to the schematic SPF-27392 Rev.C3, Sheet 11. These are the following protection components: U12, TVS1, Q512 to Q515 with surrounding circuits.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

robertferanec
Contributor III

Artur, Yuri,

I am now confused. See 4.2.1 Power-Up Sequence note in i.MX 6Dual/6Quad Applications Processors for Industrial Products http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/data_sheet/IMX6DQIEC.pdf​ page 31:

USB_OTG_VBUS and USB_H1_VBUS are not part of the power supply sequence and can be powered at any time.

Note: Maybe, you were referring to Errata: ERR006281 USB: Incorrect DP/DN state when only VBUS is applied http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/errata/IMX6DQCE.pdf but it says nothing about locking up or damaging the CPU ... it just may cause a problem if charger feature is used, which is logical.

From the datasheet note I understand, that VBUS can be connected anytime (even in case no other voltage is connected) and it will not affect booting process (e.g. locking up CPU) or damage CPU. Am I wrong or this is a mistake in datasheet?

Thank you very much for your confirmation.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

"USB_OTG_VBUS and USB_H1_VBUS are not part of the power supply sequence

and can be powered at any time" - assuming  VDD_VSNVS_IN is always (or, at least, first)

applied.

Regards,

Yuri. 

0 Kudos
keitanagashima
Senior Contributor I

Hi Artur,

Thank you for your reply.

I have an additional question.

Refer to schematic again.

I couldn't find the protection circuit for USB_OTG_DN / USB_OTG_DP.

If i.MX6 has no power, is it possible to input the power into i.MX6's D+/D-?

Best Regards,

Keita

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

USB_protection.jpg

Also, from the AI design :

USB_OTG_ID could cause backfeed through ESD Protection scheme, when

P3V3_DELAYED is not powered up. Therefore, pin 5 of the SRV05-4 is not

connected to a postive supply.

0 Kudos
keitanagashima
Senior Contributor I

Hi Yuri,

Sorry for my delay reply.

I have additional question.

My understanding is below.

When i.MX6 is not powered with connecting the PC and i.MX6 board, USB VBUS power = 0V protected by U12, TVS1, Q512, Q515 on i.MX6Q SABRE-AI.

But, I consider that "USB_OTG_DN" and "USB_OTG_DP" lines supplied the some voltage.

So, we worried about the latch-up by the voltage be applied from the USB differential-signal.

Is the protection circuit necessary for USB differential-signal line?

or

Are i.MX6's "USB_OTG_DN" and "USB_OTG_DP" pin state Hi-Z during power off?

Best Regards,

Keita

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Note, in order to protect the i.MX6 processor, the USB 5V (VBUS) should not be applied to
the i.MX6 (VBUS pins), if VDD_VSNVS_IN is not powered on, because
the LDO_USB internal

regulator requires VSNVS provided to work correctly.

Regards,

Yuri.

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The scheme, shown above is enough for USB D+ / D- signals protection.

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
keitanagashima
Senior Contributor I

Hi All,

Do you have any update?

Best Regards,

Keita

0 Kudos