AnsweredAssumed Answered

how to add custom board using Yocto

Question asked by Colin Moloney on Jan 14, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 15, 2015 by frankba

Hi,

We have our own hardware closely matching the imx28evk (but not exactly).  In have built systems for it using LTIB but we want to upgrade to Yocto and to a recent kernel.

I have installed Yocto and built a successfully target for the imx28evk using Yocto.

Now I want to understand how to build for our target hardware.

The question was asked here: How to create a custom board in Yocto ? but the replies only go as far as getting the new empty layer created.

Where do I go to get a clear explanation of how to use layers and recipes to replace one board with another?  To add a layer to get from 'imx28evk' to 'myboard"?

I need to change the usage of the pins of the chip, drop the LCD and drop the nand flash.  Part of this is kernel configuration and part is a new device tree file.

I assume I will need a new 'defconfig' and a new myboard.dts but where do they go?   Somewhere under  sources/meta-myboard/.. I assume?  and where do I copy them from in order to edit them for our hardware?

The .dts files seem to be a sort of 'include' chain. Can I make just a few changes in myboard.dts and then refer the to remainder of the chain?

Having used ". setup-environment mybuild" to create a working space, it will then include conf/local.conf and after building many others including conf/bblayers.conf.

I assume I modify this conf/bblayers.conf to add my new layer.   How is this change then captured?   If the sources are in git repositories under 'sources/...'  how do other developers in the company get the changes that I've made in my local mybuild/conf ? It's not part of a git repository.

While I'm here, another question is: What role does 'repo' play in all this.  Is this new board actually a new 'project'?  How do I add projects to repo?  Does it capture the changes I've made in mybuild/conf/... ?

Regards,

Colin Moloney

Outcomes