AnsweredAssumed Answered

Throttle Body Synchronization Using MPX5050

Question asked by Francois Girard on Jan 12, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 by Joshevelle

Hi - I'm struggling on how to proceed using FreeScale's MPX5050 sensors for building an Arduino-based Throttle Body Sensor (TBS) for BMW motorcycles.   Briefly, a TBS measures the vacuum created by the engine's throttles so that a mechanic can tune/balance the bike's throttles to create equal vacuums during acceleration.    A fluid-based manometered TBS is demoed here.  Wouldn't a solid state unit be so much better?

While it would be possible to use one (1) MPXV5050VC6T1CT-ND sensors to measure the vacuum of each cyclinder, it would seem more practical to use a dual port MPX such as the MPX7025 series to handle 2 cylinders.   So three questions:

1. Does Freescale make a sensor that measures from -50kPa to +50kPa with a 0kPa out at 2.5v?   I still need to confirm further but a throttle might create a -50kPa.

2. Is the media resistant gel the only difference between the MPVZ7025DP and the MPXV7025DP?   If a motorcycle shop is a greasy messy place, am I better off with a MPVZ unit?

3. In Table 2 on page 3 of the MPX7025 datasheet, there's a maximum pressure for P1 of 200kPa.   Is there a maximum pressure for P2?  In other words, at what point would I damage this sensor if a bike's cyclinder were to draw X kPa from the P2 port?  Is this also 200kPa (or -200kPA on P1)?

Thank you so much.

Outcomes