AnsweredAssumed Answered

IMX53QSB hot to enable tvout under linux

Question asked by Andrea Innocenti on Jan 12, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 by igorpadykov

Hello everybody,

I'm new here, first project, first freescale device, first post.

I am in the process of evaluating the IMX53 for a new board where I need to output a NTSC video to be displayed on a monitor.

My idea is to use yocto as a main distribution and to create my gui using directfb.

At this point I created my custom image with some accessory program, I can boot it and I can run the directfb demo on the VGA output when I connect the board to my monitor.

I searched around the forum and I found a lot of people asking about how to enable the tv out. I think I read most of them and everyone is related to android and with some command that sould be executed from an android environment.

I didn't found any information about "bare" linux systems.

anyhow... I made some long shot try without any success.

like in this thread: CVBS analog TV out  Weilyin Hong is suggesting some command line for android tv out.

set uboot param

setenv bootargs_android 'set bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 init=/init androidboot.console=ttymxc0 video=mxcdi0fb:RGB24,640x480M@60 hdmi di0_primary gpu_nommu, gpu_memory=64M video=mxcdi1fb:YUV444,mxcdi1fb:TV-NTSC tve'
or

setenv bootargs_android 'set bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 init=/init androidboot.console=ttymxc0 video=mxcdi0fb:RGB24,640x480M@60 hdmi di0_primary gpu_nommu, gpu_memory=64M video=mxcdi1fb:YUV444,mxcdi1fb:TV-PAL tve'

after enter android

you can type setprop rw.VIDEO_TVOUT_DISPLAY 1 in your terminal.

so you can play a video and get stand tv singal in VGA pin 3.

I tried to tweak that one a bit for adapting it to my needs, and actually it looks like:

cat /proc/cmdline

console=ttymxc0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait video=mxcdi0fb:RGB666,G121X1 video=mxcdi1fb:YUV444,TV-NTSC ldb=di0 tve di0_primary gpu_nommu gpu_memory=64M

now I can't type the setprop rw.VIDEO_TVOUT_DISPLAY 1 command because it's an android command. Can you suggest what should I do here?

I also tried to see on pin 3 of VGA connector, display is shotdown, if I try to connect a scope I don't see any video signal coming out.

Any hints on how to proceed is apreciated. If you can provide me some documentation that I could have miss or some tests to do would be wonderful.

Thank you for reading my long post,

please forgive any mistake, english is not my primary language

best regards

Andrea

Outcomes