cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to flash i.MX6 Quad from recovery mode

Jump to solution
korteland
Contributor I

I have an i.MX6 Quad, and due to an earlier mistake I am using recovery mode over the OTG USB. I can get it to boot to a specific u-boot.bin stored on my laptop, and I'm trying to copy it to the flash storage on the board (via the microSD card) so I no longer have to use recovery mode. Using instructions I found elsewhere, I've tried the following:

> mmc dev 1

> ext2load mmc 1:1 12000000 u-boot.bin

But on the second command, it just hangs indefinitely (I tried leaving it for 20 minutes). What am I doing wrong here? I'm very new to embedded development, so I might need you to talk slowly :smileysilly:

Labels (3)
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First, please check if mmc dev is correct (1), using "mmc dev" command of U-boot.

Next - please verify if the mmc card with U-boot is ext2 formatted.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First, please check if mmc dev is correct (1), using "mmc dev" command of U-boot.

Next - please verify if the mmc card with U-boot is ext2 formatted.

Have a great day,
Yuri

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

korteland
Contributor I

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have double-checked that the card is formatted as ext2 (I reformatted it just to be sure, and I check with fdisk). I also think that the mmc dev is correct:

> mmc dev

Card did not respond to voltage select!

mmc0(part 0) is current device

> mmc dev 1

mmc1 is current device

> mmc dev

mmc1 is current device

But for some reason, after a re-format, it will now do the ext2load command correctly! I have now managed to restore the onboard flash of my board. Perhaps my microSD card is a bit wonky? I know Linux was having trouble reading it at several stages. In any case, I now have a working board that doesn't rely on my microSD card - thank you!

- Will

0 Kudos