Debugging issue with FRDM-KL26Z

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging issue with FRDM-KL26Z

manuchehrebrahi
Contributor III

I have setup the debug configuration as this document, "Kinetis Design Studio v1.0.1 Quick Start Guide" says but still shows me these Errors,

any comment or recommendation on what I must do.

Thanks,

pastedImage_0.png

6 Replies

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Space4,

Please refer to "C:\Freescale\KDS_2.0.0\doc\pdf\kds_user_guide.pdf",

in particular "4 Debugging an embedded application ".

Best Regards,

Alice

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post help your question, please click the helpful Answer button.

manuchehrebrahi
Contributor III

Hi Alice,

Thanks for your comment and consideration. That what I have exactly tried but it didn't work! I am using Freedom board and I was wondering for debug I should select P&E USB Multilink Universal or "GDB OpenOCD Debugging". I know that the OpenSDA is from P&E but I am not sure which option I should select. I think that could be one of the reasons it shows debugging error.

I thought this must be very straight forward process on the KDS IDE or setup for Freedom boards. I have to try all the possible options. Any comments and advises are welcomed.

Regards,

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI Space,

1)  Press and hold the Reset button (SW2), Plug in a USB cable (not included) between a USB host and the OpenSDA USB connector (labeled “SDA”).

2)  Release the Reset button.

3)  Copy & paste or drag & drop the "DEBUG-APP_Pemicro_v108.SDA"  ( in here " C:\Freescale\KDS_2.0.0\pemicro\opensda"  )  to the BOOTLOADER drive.

4) Unplug the USB cable and plug it in again.

5)Then debug , choose GDB PEMicro Interface Debugging .

1212.png

Best Regards

Alice

manuchehrebrahi
Contributor III

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the advice. I found the issue. Provided User Guide Document is not really made properly. It was totally misleading. It says:

(a) If you are using the on-board OpenSDA debug interface running the mbed projectCMSIS-DAP firmware then right

click on GDB OpenOCD Debugging and select New to create a new debug configuration. This configuration will use

the OpenOCD (Open On-Chip debugger) GDB server to interface with the target.

(b) ...

(c) If you are using a P&E USB Multilink Universal or USB Multilink Universal FX debug adapter, or if you are using the

on-board OpenSDA debug interface running the P&E firmware then right click on GDB P&E Interface Debugging

and select New to create a new debug configuration. This configuration will use the P&E GDB server to interface

with the target.

Of course most people will go with (a) which is wrong and (c) is the correct one for whoever uses Freedom board. I selected that and it worked.

Now I have to see what would be next challenge.

Thanks again Alice for your kind consideration and appreciate for the solutions.

Regards,

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Space4 Embedded:

Just to provide some clarification about you comment:

Of course most people will go with (a) which is wrong and (c) is the correct one for whoever uses Freedom board.

Not exactly. Using a Freedom board does not mean you have the P&E firmware. The first Freedom boards as yours (FRDM-KL26Z) had a P&E proprietary OpenSDA firmware. Latest Freedom boards (e.g. FRDM-K64F) come with a new version of OpenSDA usually called OpenSDAv2, and the default debug application is CMSIS-DAP. That is why the guide document lists this as the first option.

For details you can check the next document in the community: OpenSDAv2.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

manuchehrebrahi
Contributor III

Hello Jorge and thanks for your confirmation. Exactly, that is why User Guide document misleads. What you said, I just had to find it by trying different solutions to make it work. It would be really helpful to see the comment you said on the user guide. It was a pleasure to know you and Alice. I was really happy when I saw her consideration and reply shortly after I post the issue.

Regards,

0 Kudos