cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

variable format in debug mode

Jump to solution
IlConte
Contributor IV

In debug mode, when work with step, when with mouse i go over a variable, i visualize his contents in ascii format.

How can i change the this format ?

Thanks17467_17467.jpgFormat.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Stefano,

You're right.

For my understanding there is no way to have the right value in the source view.

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
IlConte
Contributor IV

I understand, now last obvious question: This bug will be resolved in future versions of CW?

Thanks for all

Stefano

0 Kudos
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Stefano,

I've tried with Eclipse used on KDS development tool which is base on Kepler.

The problem is solved on this Eclipse version.

Using the same source file I see:

pastedImage_0.png

this is the information Erich provided before.

Question:

do we have plan for a new MCU V10.6 version ?

Nothing is planned at this time.

If you're using Kinetis architecture you could move on KDS.

Kinetis Design Studio Integrated Development |Freescale

Have a great day,
Pascal
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
IlConte
Contributor IV

Actually I use S08PT60 and CW for MCU 10.6.
I believe that they cannot use the Kinetis version and than i cannot solve the problem.

Why don't solve the problem in the next CW for MCU version ?

Thanks

Stefano

0 Kudos
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Stefano,

Build tool chain updates have been already released and will be released in future.

However to solve the problem, a new Eclipse IDE must be used and this could be done in a major release only.

At this time no new MCU release is planned.

Have a great day,
Pascal

0 Kudos
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefano,

I've created an example based on MCU v10.6 for s08QE128 with simulator.

Attached the example.

With the Pop-up menu through the variable name you can change the format.

Have a great day,
Pascal

IlConte
Contributor IV

Good, Your example is ok, but . . . . What settings should I change for have this result ?

0 Kudos
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Attached a video showing you how to do.

Just a right click to show the pop-up menu used to change the format.

Have a great day,
Pascal

0 Kudos
IlConte
Contributor IV

This is ok, but i not understud why when with mouse go over variable in the code i look only "y" special 152 ascii character

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This depends the type of variable.

I'm pretty sure your variable is defined as "char".

By default char is using ascii format so the ascii value will be displayed.

You can change it in Variable view but not in source.

Have a great day,
Pascal

0 Kudos
IlConte
Contributor IV

The variable is defined as uint8_t consequently it is a type char

typedef unsigned char uint8_t;

uint8_t mem_num_Lampi_Allarme;

But the "y" is the 152 and don't correspond to the 02 value content

For have a uint8_t viewable how can I change the uint8_t typedef definition ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Stefano,

You're right.

For my understanding there is no way to have the right value in the source view.

Have a great day,
Pascal

0 Kudos
IlConte
Contributor IV

:smileysad::smileysad::smileysad: Ok, but, why your example i can display the value function correctly. what is the difference ? Only the type ?

0 Kudos
trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Stefano,

The project I sent contains several variable types in the Fibonacci function:

fib1, fib2, fibo are defined as unsigned int

i is defined as char

fib1, fib2, fibo are correctly displayed in source file whereas i has same problem.

i is displayed with right value in the variables view but not under main.c

Have a great day,
Pascal

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefano,

you cannot influence directly the format of the hover, but you can enable the combined hovers:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/10/09/hovering-and-debugging/

Otherwise: Eclipse Kepler has more capabilities: http://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/03/16/variable-debugging-with-eclipse-kepler/

Erich

0 Kudos