cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSC9131RDB : - repeated reloading of DSP core [from PA core]

rcreddy
Contributor III

Hi All,

I am using BSC9131RDB board and i wanted to know whether following is possible. I am new to this board/platform, so please correct me wherever i am wrong.

1.I understand that once linux boots on PA [Power Arch core]. This can be used to boot dsp using /dsp_bt application.

2. I have 5 applications written and each is made into DSP application binary image [ dsp image 1, dsp image 2, dsp image 3...etc].

3. currently i am writing an automation framework to boot the images one by one..

/dsp_bt dspimage1

wait for 10 minutes

/dsp_bt dspimage2

wait for 10 minutes

/dsp_bt dspimage3.

wait for 10 minutes

/dsp_bt dspimage4.

wait for 10 minutes

/dsp_bt dspimage5.

wait for 10 minutes

4. I wanted to know is it possible to use /dsp_bt in that way. In other words, i wanted to reload the DSP core with different images repeatedly from PA core based linux [ Please note PA core is not at all reset during that time, my automation framework will be running on PA core].

Thanks

RC Reddy

0 Kudos
4 Replies

rcreddy
Contributor III

Hi Freescale team,

I am awaiting your response/reply. Kindly answer.

Thanks

RC Reddy

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello RC REDDY,

Please refer to the following Linux-SmartDSP OS boot Procedure.

(1) On Power-on-Reset Phase

PA: Load u-boot, Linux Kernel, Linux Kernel starts booting and partition manager Kernel module which does memory partition for heterogeneous cores communication. 

DSP: DSP core executes boot code from internal ROM. After completing the initialization, DSP core sets DSP_READY and polls for PPC_READY.

(2) The phase of Linux booted up

When Linux is booted up, the DSP boot application needs to be executed as “$dsp_bt <dsp image file>”, which triggers the partition manager Kernel module to use shamget to create a hugetlb of 16MB, this is set in the shared control area structure before DSP is booted up.

a. Check if the DSP_READY is set.

b. Parses the DSP binary file and loads into M2/DDR.

c. Set START_ADDRESS as the SmartDSP OS entry point.

DSP: DSP core still polls for PPC_READY from PA.

(3) The phase after Linux settting PPC_READY

PA:

a. Linux sets PPC_READY and start a timer.

b. Waits for HW semaphore 1 to be set to the value 0xfe.

DSP:

a. After PPC_READY is set, SmartDSP OS executes.

b. After SmartDSP OS is up, it set HW semaphore 1 to PA unique value 0xfe.

c. SmartDSP polls for HW semaphore 0 to be cleared by PA Linux.

(4) The phase checking DSP boot

PA: PA checks HW semaphore 1 set correctly, clear the semaphore 0.

DSP:

a. Check HW semaphore 0 to be cleared by Linux.

b. DSP sends a message on Channel 0 to indicate that the DSP IPC is up, and waits for further actions from Linux side.

So I think the way which you mentioned above is impossible to execute DSP OS images one by one on the same DSP core without reset.

Have a great day,
Yiping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

cam_at_work
Contributor I

Yiping Wang wrote:

Please refer to the following Linux-SmartDSP OS boot Procedure.

(1) On Power-on-Reset Phase

PA: Load u-boot, Linux Kernel, Linux Kernel starts booting and partition manager Kernel module which does memory partition for heterogeneous cores communication. 

DSP: DSP core executes boot code from internal ROM. After completing the initialization, DSP core sets DSP_READY and polls for PPC_READY.

Is there any way to trigger the DSP to re-execute the boot code from the internal ROM and put it back into the DSP_READY / polling state?

0 Kudos

rcreddy
Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.Its very detailed and i appreciate it.

Thanks

RC Reddy

0 Kudos