Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 2.0 Host Throughput

Jump to solution
lyfsci
Contributor III

Hi Experts,

What is the maximum effective throughput that could be achieved in the USB 2.0 host controller for the various IMX series of processors (IMX 3/5/6) ?

Is there any test suite for EVK or respective factory profiled value for the various platforms along with its associated scenarios ?

1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The USB cores of the i.MX3/5/6 series processors are pretty similar, all of them are sertified for USB 2.0 specification. So, for most of the applications, the effective data throughput of the USB cores themselves can be estimated as 30MBytes/s.

There are no dedicated test cases for USB cores speed test, since the real data throughput depends on many factors, such as speed of device connected, software overhead etc.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies
orangeusa
Contributor III

Two tools I use for any USB firmware design.

1. There is a tool from Passmark (3rd party app - Google them) for USB 2.0 and is like a $30 hardware dongle for USB loopback and benchmark. I test directly at the PC/Mac and then through the device (if there is a hub or usb output). I have no affiliation with them, but their tool is a lot cheaper than a $30k protocol analyzer. :smileyhappy:

2. There is a tool from usb.org - USB20CV - command verifier. It sends all commands your device is supposed to handle. It's great for firmware bugs in messages not handled.

So for $30 total, you can be very confident of your firmware/layout.

0 Kudos
lyfsci
Contributor III

Thank you Scott :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
lyfsci
Contributor III

Thank you Artur.

Regards,

Lyf

0 Kudos
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The USB cores of the i.MX3/5/6 series processors are pretty similar, all of them are sertified for USB 2.0 specification. So, for most of the applications, the effective data throughput of the USB cores themselves can be estimated as 30MBytes/s.

There are no dedicated test cases for USB cores speed test, since the real data throughput depends on many factors, such as speed of device connected, software overhead etc.

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!