Why not dump KSDK? - And yes there is a replacement...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not dump KSDK? - And yes there is a replacement...

Jump to solution
orangeusa
Contributor III

I wasted at least a week (on and off) - long weekends - fooling around with the wounded demo's in KSDK. They have so much promise, but just never would compile. I'm not new to this, but am new to having this BETA of software. I was so close to staying with mbed and importing the code until I could get the USB, ping, and a few other demos working.

Fortunately Freescale recently released the MQX_KSDK - which appears to be the SAME as the good old KSDK, but the demo's work. Yeah, you need to compile the libraries - at least create the ...platform_lib.a  but DANG! They work.

Ping (lwIP example) really rips - no delays like in other companies products I was evaluating. I always had a good feeling about the Freescale hardware, but man, the SDK really had me scratching my head. I loaded the MQX_KSDK, got every demo working in a few minutes (literally).

Just saying - the obscure appendix A and appendix B (which is incorrect) in the K64 SDK instructions are hard to find, not referenced anywhere except on this website (who knew you had to create the libraries?).

With that said, I really appreciate the patience of the mods and contributors here. I know there are growing pains ...

I researched a LOT of tools and chipsets and this is the most complete that I've seen. I have used other toolchains - one was a German ARM library ($10k) with Eclipse plugins, which never really quite worked right with the RS-232 debugger.

The other was a toolkit from a Texas firm which I've used for years in DSP work, but gosh, it really is showing its age. I seldom ever blame a compiler for bugs, but man, this one had a lot of bugs (at least wrt DSP chipsets) that I had to work around.

Bravo Freescale!

Labels (1)
1 Solution
anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Scott,

Glad you could get it working and we are updating the documentation to make it clearer that the KSDK platform library needs to be compiled first, before the demo projects.

From your post it sounds like you were maybe using the Beta KSDK release. The more recent KSDK 1.0 release is exactly the same as the MQX for KSDK software you installed, so I think it would have worked much better for you. The only difference between KSDK 1.0 and MQX for KSDK is that the MQX installer also includes the MQX MFS (filesystem) and RTCS (Ethernet) stacks, which it seems like you were more interested in anyways. In the next KSDK release, both of those will be combined into a single installer.

We're planning on adding a lot more support documents on the Community over the next few weeks as we prepare for the KSDK 1.1 release so keep your eye out for that.

-Anthony

View solution in original post

4 Replies
anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Scott,

Glad you could get it working and we are updating the documentation to make it clearer that the KSDK platform library needs to be compiled first, before the demo projects.

From your post it sounds like you were maybe using the Beta KSDK release. The more recent KSDK 1.0 release is exactly the same as the MQX for KSDK software you installed, so I think it would have worked much better for you. The only difference between KSDK 1.0 and MQX for KSDK is that the MQX installer also includes the MQX MFS (filesystem) and RTCS (Ethernet) stacks, which it seems like you were more interested in anyways. In the next KSDK release, both of those will be combined into a single installer.

We're planning on adding a lot more support documents on the Community over the next few weeks as we prepare for the KSDK 1.1 release so keep your eye out for that.

-Anthony

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hi Anthony,

Is there a release date for KSDK 1.1.0?

0 Kudos
anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It is currently scheduled for release in mid December. The big changes are additional boards support and the addition of Atollic support.

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Thank you :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos