AnsweredAssumed Answered

Bare Metal i.MX28 Begginers Guide

Question asked by Michel Feinstein on Nov 24, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 by Michel Feinstein

Hi,

I am creating a new project with the i.MX28 and I don't want to use a Linux OS with it. Why? Well this is meant to be a really small board and adding the extra RAM chip for the minimum RAM requirements of the Linux BSP will take lots of space in it, and the Linux BSP as far as I know takes some 15 seconds to boot, and I want a device that can boot instantly. I could maybe use some RTOS, but most aren't free (honestly I don't even know the prices) and I don't know which free RTOS will really suit my needs (pros and cons have to be evaluated for this project, and for this I will need to know more about the RTOS, and I confess I don't know much about them...and I am not so sure how they are different from a Bare Metal configuration, since most RTOS AFAIK are really simple stuff not related to a Linux BSP, but I can be wrong on this) and why to really use it. My code is kinda simple so I believe an OS won't do much to help.

I can find some Application Notes and tutorials about how to create Linux images for the i.MX28, but I can't find anything on Bare Metal programming. As far as I can see I have to set up the High Assurance Boot (in case I have any protections in my code) and the internal Power Module Unit and then I can run my code....but the steps for doing this all together (and any other steps that I have not anticipated) are vague and I feel kinda lost and afraid of doing things wrongly and maybe damaging the chip.

I have experience with AVRs and PICs, which are pretty simple to run software (you just have to plug the programmer and run your code directly from your IDE) and this is my first project using ARMs and i.MX processors, which are way more complicated than that.

I have an i.MX28 EVK board, so this mostly assures any problems I can have during the development are related to software.

I appreciate all the help!!!

Outcomes