cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAG3110 soft/hard iron

Jump to solution
hjlim
Contributor II

One of my customer is about to make simple compass using MAG3110.

It just need to indicate the magnetic or true north.

1. In this case, should they use the soft/hard iron compensation?

2. If so, is it possible to perform complicated matrix calculation thru PIC16F1936?

3. Do Freescale provide the equation as a source or library form?

4. Do Freescale provide I2C example code?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi HJ,

1. Generally yes, the magnetometer requires calibrating not only for its own offset but also against spurious magnetic fields resulting from any nearby ferromagnetic components on the PCB. It is a good practice to minimize hard iron interference at the design stage, for more information on layout recommendations please refer to the AN4247.

2. I will let others answer this question.

3&4. Freescale e-compass hard/soft iron compensation software is available as a source code as part of the Sensor fusion offering which uses the PE I2C_LDD component for I2C communication.  

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Tomas

PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct" or “Helpful”. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hjlim
Contributor II

Thank you Tomas,

Please pay attention to the question #2 also.

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi HJ,

1. Generally yes, the magnetometer requires calibrating not only for its own offset but also against spurious magnetic fields resulting from any nearby ferromagnetic components on the PCB. It is a good practice to minimize hard iron interference at the design stage, for more information on layout recommendations please refer to the AN4247.

2. I will let others answer this question.

3&4. Freescale e-compass hard/soft iron compensation software is available as a source code as part of the Sensor fusion offering which uses the PE I2C_LDD component for I2C communication.  

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Tomas

PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct" or “Helpful”. Thank you.

0 Kudos