cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5249 Byte Access

MikeTheRed
Contributor I
Hello,

Is it possible for the MCF5249 to perform byte size memory accesses.  On my target board I have a 16 bit wide Static RAM chip, A0 from the 5249 is not connected.  The chip has a Lower Byte and an Upper Byte signal but the only type of corresponding signals on the 5249 I see are for SDRAM

If I can't do byte level memory access then what is the workaround for using string literals, like the line StringCopy (TheCharArray, "Hello World"); and the StringCopy routine copies bytes from one to the other until the terminator charcter is reached?

Thanks.

Mike
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

MikeTheRed
Contributor I
Hello,

I have tracked down my problem with they byte access.  The RAM chip on my board uses the entire 16 bit data bus and A0 from teh 5249 is not used, this means that any address access is done in word length.  When reading a byte the 5249 is smart enough to choose either the upper or lower byte of the word depending on the address specified.  This works great.  However, when writing a byte the chip seems to put the deired 8 bits of data on both the upper and lower byte of the 16 bit data bus.  I would assume it does this assuming that the connected device would use an upper/lower byte strobe.

Can someone verify that this is the way the 5249 is supposed to work?

So, I need go get a upper byte and lower byte strobe to the RAM chip on the board.  The 5249 does not provide for this except for the SDRAM circuitry.  Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks.

Mike
0 Kudos