Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded linux and i.mx books.

Jump to solution
ssinfod
Contributor IV

Hello,

I want to use embedded Linux (yocto) on the i.mx 6 processor. I already booted some dev kit with yocto on it.

Now, I'm looking for some text book that explains how to use the peripheral of the i.mx 6 with Linux. (For example: SPI, I2C, Timer, ATD, Timer, CAN, UART, etc.)

I'm coming from the microcontroller world (Freescale HCS08, HCS12, etc..) and I am a little lost regarding these subjects.

Can anyone suggest me some good text books or tutorial on how to use the i.mx peripheral inside Linux ?

Thanks

ssinfod

Labels (5)
1 Solution
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You can find the path of the driver source code in i.MX6 Linux Reference Manual.

For the example on how to use it, you can take the imx-test for reference. (<Yocto_BuildDir>/imx-test-"version")

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ssinfod
Contributor IV

Thanks, I ordered and read that book already. It gives a good overview of yocto but I would like more examples on how to use the feature of the i.mx processor.

ssinfod

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I think the Linux reference manual and the porting guide in the Yocto BSP documentation are useful for you.

0 Kudos
ssinfod
Contributor IV

Thanks these documents seems to contains a lot of usefull information.

One last question..

Can you explain to me one last thing. With Freescale MCU, I'm used to write the driver code myself. For example, I could set and get the UART registers (SCI0BD, SCI0DR), baud rate, data bits, etc..

With the Linux (yocto), who is writing the driver for the i.mx ? Is it the Freescale team or the Linux team ?

Where can I see the code for the i.mx peripheral drivers ? (Timer, UART, SPI, I2C) ?

In fact, I would like to see the i.mx peripheral driver code and also example on how to use it.

ssinfod

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You can find the path of the driver source code in i.MX6 Linux Reference Manual.

For the example on how to use it, you can take the imx-test for reference. (<Yocto_BuildDir>/imx-test-"version")