cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEMO9S12XEP100

Jump to solution
Contributor I

Hi

How do I load the .s19 file into microcontroller MC9S12XEP100MAL? I have a DEMO9S12XEP100 board + CW for S12X.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hello ,

You can refer to "Re: Code Warrior and USBDM?".

And you change the interface menu  for your board interface.

Hope it helps

Alice

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Contributor I

Thanks for your answers!

0 Kudos
iggi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

That is quite easy when you know how to do it :-)

After you install CW, go to the installation folder which should be by default c:\Program Files\Freescale\CWS12v5.1\Prog\
There you will find hiwave.exe which shoud be executed to open the CW debugger.

Furhter steps are listed in the reply by Jennie Zhang to the topic you should refer suggested by Alice.

NOTE: If you use USB connection between PC and the board to program/debug the micro, it will work on 32-bit version of Windows OS.

Regards,

iggi

bigbearbrian
Contributor I

Hello,

Please excuse if these are simple questions, I'm new to the Freescale development world (experienced with Arduino, Netduino, and a little TI TIva TM4C1294XL, along with some general electronics background).

I'm also working with the DEMO9S12XEP100 boards. Our club has several of these which were developed as a control solution by a gentleman with considerable EE and embedded device experience, now unfortunately deceased. Because I've got the most-similar experience in the club, I've been trying to do my best to pick up where he left off. This has become more critical, since one of the DEMO boards has been damaged, and is no longer usable (I replaced the overheating 75M05G voltage regulator, but the replacement immediately started overheating... meaning that either I'm not capable of desoldering/re-flowing SMB components, or there's more wrong than just the regulator....)

This means I've probably got to re-flash a blank DEMO9S12XEP100 board. I've been following what posts refer to this board in this community, and have identified the following:

1) a) I need a 32-bit OS. Earlier today, I created a Win8 32-bit install on Hyper-V, following up on a WinXP 32-bit install I created yesterday. Neither one sees the board when I plug it in via USB.

b) I've just tried doing the Win8 on Oracle VirtualBox, but that install is failing to start during virtual machine boot. I'm suspecting that, like the environment I work on for the TI Tivas, I'll need to do the VirtualBox on another machine, as it and Hyper-V don't seem to like co-existing on the same machine.

Any other suggestions for getting this board at least RECOGNIZED and a driver installed in Windows virtual machines?

2) I'm seeing additional references, to "USBDM", and I'm wondering if there is some special USB cable needed to connect to this board? If there is, can anyone suggest a way to get ahold of one? I'm sure the deceased would have had one, but I don't have access to it.

3) I'm currently using the trial version of CodeWarrior, which is apparently only good for a couple of weeks. I've looked at the purchase prices found on CodeWarrior Development Tools Suite - Basic|Freescale , and am aghast. The annual price would be about 1/4 of the total budget our club has... there's no way that I can justify this purchase for the long-term. Are there any freeware/open source solutions for developing for the Freescale processor?

4) Finally, the solutions I've got from the developer are all in Assembler. I haven't worked with Assembler since around 1985, when I was fidding with the 6502 processor on my Apple II. As you can imagine, I'm a little rusty. Can anyone recommend any good sources of documentation for the instruction set of this processor?

Thanks,

Brian Pickering

0 Kudos
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Brian,

you would be better starting new thread.

1)2) I haven't used USBDM, but I guess you may need USBDM firmware and/or drivers update. Try looking for this keyword around.

If not, USB Multilink (pemicro.com) works along with CW 5.1 on 64 bit OS and is compatible with S08/S12(X)/Coldfire V1 MCU's, also with your DEMO board. Though older USB Multilink (which worked with CW 5.1 out of the box) is discontinued, new USB Multilink Universal is supposed to work as well after applying patch from P&E (http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=414 ).

3) CW special edition is free. Special Edition Software|Freescale

4) S12 & S12S S12X & S12XS & S12XE Microcontrollers - Reference Manual 

http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/ref_manual/S12XCPUV2.pdf

Regards,

Edward

bigbearbrian
Contributor I

Yeah, maybe I should have. I never seem to be very good at discerning forums. :-)

I'm HOPING this will be helpful. The PE Micro multilink is still a little pricey- I'll have to bring it to the group and see what they think.

I HOPED that I actually had a solution, as mentioning this to the developer's kin brought a similar device to my house this evening, but it doesn't seem to match any of the pinouts on this particular board. It looks like it is designed for ST boards, not Freescale. I've just ordered one, will see if it works once it arrives.

Thanks also for the link to the Special Edition software. With that reference, I actually also received the disks from the developer's kin this evening. Unfortunately, the HCS12 disk appears to be damaged, so it's a long download for me. Oh well, I've got until the USBDM arrives for it to finish.

And finally, thank you for your tolerance of my jumping into the forum mid-(old)-topic. :-)

Brian

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hello ,

You can refer to "Re: Code Warrior and USBDM?".

And you change the interface menu  for your board interface.

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos