I plan to use Freescale S08 MCUs for my application, in India. I have never used Freescale before. Please compare S08 with other popular MCUs like PIC, AVR, etc.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I plan to use Freescale S08 MCUs for my application, in India. I have never used Freescale before. Please compare S08 with other popular MCUs like PIC, AVR, etc.

Jump to solution
pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

It is very important as I plan to use the selected products for a long time. It looks like Freescale doesn't really support or promote their 8-bit or 16-bit range. It appears that there are no low cost evaluation tools, that are a must these days. Experienced users please help. Thanks......

Also, how is Freescale's presence in India?

Pratiek

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What Jennie was trying to say is that the industry trend is towards the Kinetis Microcontrollers due to various factors as its features and costs, but it does not means that the S08 family is not recommended for new designs.

Actually there are excellent choices as the Freescale’s 5V 8-bit S08P MCU sub-family.

This sub-family gives your designs more durability and reliability in harsh industrial and user interface environments, meeting appliance safety standard IEC60730. The S08P family is simple, yet powerful, and offers exceptional EFT/ESD performance.

S08P: 8-bit Microcontroller Family web page: Overview, Documentation, Software & Tools, Orderable parts:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=S08P&nodeId=01624684491437EDDD

There are other good recommendations as the S08SH, S08AC or S08GW sub-families.

Find more information about the S08 Family in the next link:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=HCS08&cof=0&am=0

I am not saying that Kinetis is not a good recommendation, actually it is an excellent choice; I just want to let you know that the S08 family remains active and you can consider it for your project. 

Please let me know all the features you need in your project in order to make a better recommendation.

Hope this information will be useful for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Pratiek,

you are correct s08 is not recommended for new design. we recommend kinetis cotex M0+ core instead.

Kinetis 32-bit ARM Cortex-M Microcontrollers|Freescale

most of kinetis Freedom board is cheap. for example

Freescale Freedom Development Platform for Ki|Freescale

here is Freescale distributor network:

Distributor Network|Freescale

===============================

this answer is for you.. if it helps, please click on "Correct Answer" button, thanks!

Best Regards.

Zhang Jun

pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

So basically Freescale is trying to promote ARM cores even for 8 Bit applications? I am just making sure....... Definitely the 5 V range gives it an edge over other ARM MCUs. @Tony Papadimitriou What are you speaking about is it only HC08 or even S08?

0 Kudos
tonyp
Senior Contributor II

I'm not the one speaking, I'm only responding to what Jennie said.   I want to hope that she made a mistake and meant to say the HC08 is no longer recommended for new designs, and NOT the S08.  That's all I'm saying.

Jennie has Freescale affiliation and supposedly knows better (being on the inside,) so I cannot ignore her comment, in case it has some validity.

But, I really think (hope) this was a mistake, and somebody (from Freescale) has to come out and set the record straight.

0 Kudos
david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What Jennie was trying to say is that the industry trend is towards the Kinetis Microcontrollers due to various factors as its features and costs, but it does not means that the S08 family is not recommended for new designs.

Actually there are excellent choices as the Freescale’s 5V 8-bit S08P MCU sub-family.

This sub-family gives your designs more durability and reliability in harsh industrial and user interface environments, meeting appliance safety standard IEC60730. The S08P family is simple, yet powerful, and offers exceptional EFT/ESD performance.

S08P: 8-bit Microcontroller Family web page: Overview, Documentation, Software & Tools, Orderable parts:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=S08P&nodeId=01624684491437EDDD

There are other good recommendations as the S08SH, S08AC or S08GW sub-families.

Find more information about the S08 Family in the next link:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=HCS08&cof=0&am=0

I am not saying that Kinetis is not a good recommendation, actually it is an excellent choice; I just want to let you know that the S08 family remains active and you can consider it for your project. 

Please let me know all the features you need in your project in order to make a better recommendation.

Hope this information will be useful for you.

0 Kudos
pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

thanks David

0 Kudos
tonyp
Senior Contributor II

>you are correct s08 is not recommended for new design.

WHAT?  WHAT? WHAT?

I hope you're only kidding, right?  If not, please point me to official references regarding this.

(OK, now I see the older HC08 being not recommended for new designs -- a small note)

0 Kudos