KDS UI enhancement request

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS UI enhancement request

johnbaker
Contributor IV

It is the little things that make a big difference! ;-)

Let's say I have 20 files open in KDS and am looking at one of them.  I then need to open another file to look at.  As soon as I open another file, the TAB of the one I was just looking at disappears and I have to click on the arrow way-y-y-y-y-y to the right of the screen to find it again. I would have thought that it would hide the TAB of the oldest looked at file?

Is there any way to make the tabs FIFO  instead of LIFO?

Thanks,

John Baker

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi John,

I don't know if this description is off any use:

• The Editor view is populated with editor panels in the order they are opened. So this is FIFO based on when they are opened (maybe you mean last accessed order).
  • When a particular editor is selected then the IDE 'intelligently' displays the tab for the selected editor.  By intelligently I mean that it doesn't change the tabs displayed unless it has to.
  • It never re-orders the tabs.
  • If you have a large number of tabs open then the visible tabs will change to those that are near to the one selected.

Given the above I find it useful to re-order the tabs into related items e.g. the header file next to the corresponding source file or files that represent a locus if interest.  This helps to keep the tabs of useful files visible.

Another thing that may also help is the navigation buttons pastedImage_2.png that allow you to move between several areas of interest.

It is also possible to have multiple Editor views visible at the same time.

For what it is worth I would vote for the current behaviour :smileyhappy:

bye

0 Kudos

johnbaker
Contributor IV

Hi pgo,

Yes, that was very useful knowledge. I did not realize this until I just now played with it. The tab pages are in a listview control that corresponds to the drop down selector at the end of the tabs. If I select the last item it pushes the view to the end and I do not see the first tabs. Likewise when I select the first tab the view shifts back to the beginning and I no longer see the end tabs.

Thanks for the info,

John Baker

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm not aware of any settings to change this, and I doubt there is one. It is the way how it is in Eclipse.

One tip I have is that you can double click on the tab of the file to enlarge everything: that probably will reduce the chance that tabs are hidden as you have more screen real estate.

If you have multiple monitors, then you can have a second main window or the source files on a separate monitor, see Go, multiply and detach: Multiple Screens with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse.

You can use CTRL+F6 (see Switching Source Files in the Eclipse Editor (CTRL+TAB) | MCU on Eclipse) to switch between the source files.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

johnbaker
Contributor IV

Hi Erich,

Thanks for checking. Yes, I have two monitors and yes, it is usually not an issue if I spread KDS across both monitors or split the windows, or double click on the tab to maximize the window. Unfortunately I also have to look at other windows along with KDS. I guess I will just have to get 4 monitors! LOL! Or maybe an 8k monitor! http://www.pcgamesn.com/both-nvidia-and-amd-are-preparing-for-8k-for-the-human-eye-that-resolution-i...

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos