Programming of bootloader firmware in soldered-down flash on MCP8308 dev boards

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming of bootloader firmware in soldered-down flash on MCP8308 dev boards

michaelvivanti
Contributor I

How is the bootloader firmware programmed onto soldered down flash on the MCP8308 dev boards if there is no pre-programable flash e.g. no SPI flash or socketed PLCC flash?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Empty flash can be soldered and programmed onboard. To do that, you can connect to the MPC8308 processor via debug header and instruct the processor to program its flash. This can be done by CodeWarrior Flash Programmer.

Note - MPC83xx devices require hard reset configuration, typically loaded from flash. If the flash is empty, this leads to incorrect configuration (all ones). You have to either instruct your flash programmer to override reset configuration by one supplied by debugger, or switch the board to any "hardcoded" option.

michaelvivanti
Contributor I

Thanks.

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Michael Vivanti

You mean programming the flash on the MPC8308 dev board? You have JTAG right? You can use CW_PA_8.8 which including the flash programmer for this. Here is the download link:

CodeWarrior Development Studio for PowerQUICC|Freescale

You need to install service package for MPC8308 also:CodeWarrior Development Studio for PowerQUICC|Freescale

Expand the Updates and Patches you will find it there for both Linux and Windows hosts.

You could use this evaluation license which is full featured for 30 days. Click Tools->Flash Programmer to open the Flash Programmer window.

Please contact if you have more questions.

michaelvivanti
Contributor I

Thanks.

0 Kudos