MQX vs MQX Lite?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MQX vs MQX Lite?

brunopaillard
Contributor III

I am having trouble understanding what options of MQX are available for each platform in KDS:

-     When I create a new project for an MK21FN1M0xx12 processor, I have a choice of MQX or MQX-Lite

-     When I create a new project for an MK22F512xxx12 processor, I only have a choice of MQX_KSDK (Not MQX-Lite)

It is not easy making sense of this, the two platforms are very-very (-very) close, and if anything the MK22F512xxx12 has less resources and could benefit from having the lite (static) version of MQX.

Is this an oversight? Will the situation change as the tools evolve?

Thanks for bringing clarity...

Bruno

Labels (1)
13 Replies

macl
Senior Contributor I

Hi Bruno,

Hopefully, I can bring some clarity.  We are in a transition point and thus there are some differences in the versions of MQX available for different MCU sub-families.

The new K22 devices that launched this year are considered part of our second generation of Kinetis MCUs and the software strategy is a little different, even though as you pointed out they are very similar to our older K22 devices.

For these newer devices, the software platform is the new Kinetis SDK which provides startup, hardware abstraction, drivers, etc.  Instead of Processor Expert (plugin for KDS) generating its own unique software, it will now be based on the SDK software.  Older MCUs will still have the old Processor Expert software.  Some backfilling will happen (older MCUs brought into the new software framework), but not all.

For MQX RTOS for these new devices, we are building it to run on top of the Kinetis SDK.  So that is why you see MQX_KSDK and not MQX or MQX-Lite in the Processor Expert options.

In our next release of MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK, we will offer a MQX Lite configuration, so it will be easy to get the light weight memory footprint of MQX Lite with the new software.  You will be able to select MQX_KSDK and set a configuration option for MQX Lite mode.

For details about MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK see: Beta version of MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK - Now Available

Details about the different ways MQX RTOS is available is here:  www.freescale.com/mqx

Thanks,
Mac

brunopaillard
Contributor III

Hi Mac, Linda, Jorge, Alice

Thank you, that brings some clarity.

As a practical matter, in the new paradigm, in order to use MQX or MQX Lite, an SDK project should still be opened with the  "Processor-Expert" option right? That will not go away?

Thanks

Bruno

0 Kudos

Fan_xy
Contributor III

HI Mac,

Do you meaning the old PE will not support the second generation of kinetis MCU,  and it will completely replaced by SDK ?

Linda

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Linda:

That is correct, all development for second generation Kinetis devices is based on SDK, so old-style PEx will not be available. The only exceptions to this are the K64F and K24F; these were the last parts to be supported by legacy PEx.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Bruno,

Now the kds about corresponding MQX、 SDK are all basic version , in the future , all kineties board and functions as MQX  、 SDK and so on will can develop on KDS.

Thank you for your support to freescale.

Alice

0 Kudos

brunopaillard
Contributor III

So if I understand correctly, in future versions of KDS, the "static" MQX-Lite will be progressively phased-out, in favor of MQX_KDS for all platforms?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Bruno,

MQX and MQX_Lite will be all exist , and MQX_Lite is fundamental and simple .

And in the future , all the kinetis series platforms  can develop on KDS .

I check the MK22F512xxx12 on KDS , and it have the  MQX and MQX_Lite ,

333.png

Alice

0 Kudos

brunopaillard
Contributor III

Hi Alice

The "FX" does, but NOT the FN...!

See below:

pastedImage_0.png

Am I missing something?

Bruno

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Bruno

I'm sorry , I losed something .

The K22F/KV31F service pack for PEx Driver Suite 10.4.1 and KDS 1.1 is already available on FSL website, see page http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=K22_120&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab#

You can download and updata it on KDS ,  then MK22FN512 can use MQX or MQX_Lite on PE.

55.png

Alice

brunopaillard
Contributor III

Hi Alice

I installed the service pack as you indicated, but I cannot see the MQX_Lite version when I select the MK22FN512VLH12 CPU. I can only see it when I select a MK21 CPU.

Interestingly, I can also not see the USB_LDD driver with the MK22FN512VLH12 CPU.

I know that these options are installed in KDS (otherwise they would not appear with any processor).

Is there something that I am missing?

You seem to have them available in your setup. How did you install?

Thanks

Bruno

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Bruno,

With the New Project Wizard in KDS you have 4 different combinations:

1) NO PEx + NO KSDK -> Simple baremetal project without KSDK and without PEx support.

2) NO PEx + KSDK -> KSDK project without PEx support. You have to manually configure structures and KSDK APIs.

3) PEx + NO KSDK -> Processor Expert support without SDK. This allows you to use the classic PEx driver components (LDD).

4) PEx + KSDK -> KSDK project with PEx support. With this you can use fsl_xxx components to configure KSDK library, but you do not have LDD drivers.

:smileyinfo: Legacy Kinetis parts only accept (1) and (3). New parts accept (1), (2) and (4) after installing KSDK packages. Just a few devices have the 4 options available.

There was an issue with the K22F service pack that would not let you have the 4 options. To solve this for your K22FN512 you have to install the Eclipse Update v1.0.1 for KSDK. Go to Help -> Install New Software...

Eclispe_Update.png

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brunopaillard
Contributor III

Hi Jorge

I looked at the site you mentioned. It seems that Eclipse update for KSDK was already at V1.0.1 (see image below)

Update_1.JPG.jpg

I saw that there were two other updates that could be installed. But when I attempted to do that, here is the response that I got:

Update_2.JPG.jpg

There seems to be some inconsistency in the versions of the various components... What should I do? install the updates, or not...?

What radio button should be selected?

Another question/comment:

The update process is VERY nebulous and leaves me with many more questions than answers:

-     It is not at all clear which updates should be found locally (in an archive), and which should be found on the web

-     What sites should be consulted to get the latest updates (there are more than 10 possible ones indicated... possibly some NOT indicated?)

-     Same thing with the updates that are contained in .zip files (where to find them in the installation directories? How can I know which is current, which is not?)

-     In the past I found some updates in archives, but either the update tool would not install them (just saying for a while it was trying to find an alternative solution), or would install them if I downgraded some component... Not clear what to do then!

It would be EXTREMELY useful to have a simple procedure to follow to make sure one has all the latest updates and plug-ins/modules. Right now I must admit that I am very lost

Thanks

Bruno

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Oh, Bruno

"MQX_KSDK" is the component of SDK,  this 'MQX'  is different from the "MQX" of PE . In another word , they didn't have any relationship.

I will check    when the PE support "MK22F512xxx12 processor"  and tell you .

Alice

0 Kudos