External Flash Programming on HC12

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Flash Programming on HC12

charlierefvem
Contributor I

I have the MC812A4 discovery board from Technological Arts (model Adapt812DXLT).

We use these boards for a Mechatronics class and would like to make the switch from ICC12 to Codewarrior as we appreciate the extra features. I am having a very tough time writing to the external flash using Codewarror. I have read a few things regarding codewarrior not supporting programming external flash (although it can acesss it just fine).

Do I need to use a utility other than codewarrior to do the external flash programming? Right now we just use the terminal window in ICC12 and program via the "mxflash" utility that comes programmed on the discovery board's local EEPROM.

If this is the case, is codewarrior set up with a serial terminal that will allow me to write the code and simulate in codewarrior and then program using the mxflash utility?

Thanks so much for your time!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Charlie

CW debugger would not load application to external flash. Instead, you have to rely on other programmer to load the application(generated by CodeWarrior compiler/linker) to the external flash, such as PROG12Z.

P&E Microcomputer Systems - PROG12Z - 68HC(S)12(X) Flash/EEPROM Programmer Software - HC(S)12(X), Fl...

for more information about PROG12Z, please contact P&E support.

Freescale has application note of HC(S)12 about external bus design :

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2287.pdf

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2408.pdf

AN2408 uses the AM29F400AB in the example of external flash interfacing.

====================================================

this answer is for you. if it helps, please click on "Correct Answer" button. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Zhang Jun

0 Kudos