cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI Hang 4.1.0 FRDM K64

Jump to solution
razed11
Contributor V

After many successful transfers SPI reads or writes will hang--apparently waiting on a semaphore (call stack included as attachment). I am not using DMA but the standard interrupt driver. SPI1 with CS0 and CS1. Another task is using the driver with the other chip select but I have disabled it for my testing.

Looking at the waveforms the last transfer performs the chip select and appears to transfer the requested number of bytes. When it hangs it is always in the same place. I'm using full duplex with the same buffer for TX'd and RX'd data.

I'm using 4.1.0 because the 4.1.1 cloning wizard has a bug that would not allow me to clone the K64 FRDM with IAR and I needed to press on. Any know issues with the driver? I've tried breaking up the transfers in to 8, 16, 32, and 64 byte chunks but the issue persists.

New Information:

I diff'd (Beyond Compare) the directories and found that the SPI driver has not changed between 4.1.0 and 4.1.1.

The semaphore never seems to post when the last of the data is received. I disabled the use of the interrupt to deal with the RX data (didn't dig deep enough to understand why this is) by not setting DSPI_ATTR_USE_ISR in the initialization structure. In this case the polling loop hangs so it seems that the RX flag that would trigger the interrupt or exit this loop is not being set. There is nothing in the errata regarding SPI.

Any thoughts as to why this would work most of the time?

Thanks,

Kenny

_file = fopen(DEVICE_NAME, (char const *)SPI_FLAG_FULL_DUPLEX);

// Sometime later and repeatedly.

mqx_uint code = ::write(_file, _buffer, count + HEADER_SIZE);

fflush(_file);

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Pack with fixed cloning wizard and generators for MQX4.1.1 are now in final testing phase.

There is also SPI issue at K64 based on problem with FIFO depth. SPI1 and SPI2 FIFO size is just 1 (effectively like without FIFO, see "TX FIFO size" and "RX FIFO size" chapters in reference manual). Unfortunately current SPI driver cannot distinguish between SPI modules and FIFO depth must be specified according used SPI module with smallest FIFO size. So, if you use SPI1, please edit spi_dspi_common.h file and change

#define DSPI_FIFO_DEPTH 4

to

#define DSPI_FIFO_DEPTH 1

I guess that it could be reason for such behavior.

This problem is caused by fact that SPI driver is older than K64 chip and all older Kinetis chip has always FIFO depth=4. K64 I first chip with such limitation on SPI1 and SPI2.

Have a great day,
RadekS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Pack with fixed cloning wizard and generators for MQX4.1.1 are now in final testing phase.

There is also SPI issue at K64 based on problem with FIFO depth. SPI1 and SPI2 FIFO size is just 1 (effectively like without FIFO, see "TX FIFO size" and "RX FIFO size" chapters in reference manual). Unfortunately current SPI driver cannot distinguish between SPI modules and FIFO depth must be specified according used SPI module with smallest FIFO size. So, if you use SPI1, please edit spi_dspi_common.h file and change

#define DSPI_FIFO_DEPTH 4

to

#define DSPI_FIFO_DEPTH 1

I guess that it could be reason for such behavior.

This problem is caused by fact that SPI driver is older than K64 chip and all older Kinetis chip has always FIFO depth=4. K64 I first chip with such limitation on SPI1 and SPI2.

Have a great day,
RadekS

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos