TWR-KW2x Demo

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWR-KW2x Demo

salah
Contributor III

I just purchased 2 TWR-KW2x development board. I am unable to run demo as per quick guide. I have installed both device on 2 different usb port to serial com 3 & COM 5. As per instruction. But when I press reset on both device I do not see any demo code on hyper terminal. Please help

Thanks,

Salah

8 Replies

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Salah,

There are two different scenarios that would explain what you are describing:

• The first one would be that the out-of-the-box demo (Connectivity Test demo) is properly loaded to the boards and a wrong configuration is preventing you from running it properly. If firmware was loaded indeed, you should see blue LEDs flashing when powering the board.

If shown, please verify you are able to see the board’s COM port in Windows’ Device Manager after plugging it in. If so, please make  sure you are using 115200bps baudrate and reset board. If COM port is not shown, then there was a problem installing board drivers.

• Now, if LEDs are not flashing, it is probable that the boards do not have any firmware (or a different one) loaded. If this is the case, I would kindly ask you to download the TWR-KW2x BSP from our website (link below) and flash them again with TWR-KW24D512_SMAC_ConnectivityTest.srec file. You can drag and drop such file to the massive storage device shown in your PC once TWR board is connected. Then review the first scenario described above.

Link: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=TWR-KW2x&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab 

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos

salah
Contributor III

Hi AngelC,

I am very new and I do not know how to run this demo. I was following this quick start guide

http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/TWRMKW2XQSG.pdf?fpsp=1

I dont see anything on teminal port. When I connect the device it shows bootloader and on device manager under port has no com port. also do i need to load any demo on the board ?

Please give me step by step guideline as I have no idea how to run this.

I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Hi Salah,

If board is entering 'Bootloader' mode it might be because J30 jumper is placed. Please verify there is not any jumper connected in J30 and if so, remove it. Also, make sure J29 is connected and ON/OFF switch is in ON position (towards the edge of TWR board). You should see the COM port listed at least. LEDs should also be flashing if proper demo firmware is loaded. Let me know if you still have issues.

Regards,

AngelC

salah
Contributor III

Hi AngelC

I can run demo using .srec file. I was wondering how can I use IDE to open demo and transfer to board for debugging the demo. Could you please give me guide line what to install. I have tried on codewarrior but didnt work.

Thanks,
Salah    

0 Kudos

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Salah,

First of all, in order tto debug TWR-KW2x you should first install an open SDA image, which will allow you to load and debug applications using the USB connection and without external programmers/connectors. For this, you should read the TKW2x_OSDAUG_v1.1.pdf included in the BSP package you downloaded.

Secondly, please notice that all of MKW2x firmware only supports IAR IDE and not Codewarrior. Therefore, you should start by downloading it from http://www.iar.com/Service-Center/Downloads/. You could either download a time-limited trial or use the size-limited version, both should work.

If you plan to use the Connectivity test’s source code (out-of-the-box application in TWR-KW2x board), then the size-limited should be enough while you do not have to worry about time-trial expiration. However, if you plan to use a larger stack such as ZigBee, you should get a license from IAR in able to compile the whole stack or simply use the time-limited trial.  Anyway, you could start with the size- limited one.

Once installed, you should also download and install the BeeKit Wireless Connectivity Toolkit from our website . The download link could be found in http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=BEEKIT_WIRELESS_CONNECTIVITY_TOOLKIT

After both being installed, you could proceed and check the Connectivity Test source code in C:\Program Files\Freescale\SMAC\MKW2x\Demo Apps\Connectivity Test. You should open the Connectivity Test.eww file in IAR. That will open the source code and let you modify it if desired. Just please note any modification is totally application specific.To download you could use the open SDA as described in first step.I hope this helps.

Regards,
AngelC

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

salah
Contributor III

also which version of IAR i should download? I have TWR-KW24D512

0 Kudos

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Salah,

Yes, you may need a license whenever your code exceeds IAR size-limit. However, for Connectivity Test and SMAC projects in general, you do not need such license. Regarding to the IAR version, the 7.x should work without problems, otherwise let me know.

Moreover, please notice that IAR IDE is a product from IAR and we are not aware of any University program or special discounts for students they may have. I would recommend you to contact them directly through their website and ask them.

Regards,
AngelC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

salah
Contributor III

Dear AngelC,

Thank you very much. I appreciate your details information. I am a student and was not expecting for any licensing. So based on what device I have, I have to have licensed copy of IAR if I use any over sized project, right? or is there any way I can get it for free as university program?

Thanks,
Salah

0 Kudos