cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use KW24D512 as Sniffer in Wireshark

jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Enabling KW2xD platform to be used as sniffer with Wireshark Packet Analyzer with the Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Requisites

Download & Install Wireshark protocol analyzer

Download & Install Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter

-------------------------------------------------------------

Firmware (srec): USB-KW24D512_802.15.4_Sniffer.srec (Download from the USB-KW24D512 Board Support Package)

Hardware:

USB-KW24D512 dongle

or

TWR-KW24D512 with USB interface (microUSB and jumper J3[2:3])

or

FRDM-KW24D512 with USB interface (J16 USB port)

Wireshark version used for this post: Version 1.12.0 (v1.12.0-0-g4fab41a from master-1.12)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Step by step guide:

Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter User's Guide.pdf in 'Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter' installer.

Step by step video:

http://players.brightcove.net/4089003392001/default_default/index.html?videoId=5109012288001

10 Replies

calebrust
Contributor III

I was unable to get my KW24 TWR board to be detected by the Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter tool. 

ProtocolAnalyzerAdapter_KW24TWR_NotFound.PNG

It is detected successfully in TestTool 12.  The TWR board is running "TWR-KW2x_Sniffer.srec" which I loaded using TestTool 12.  OS is Windows 7

TestTool12_KW24TWR.PNG

The OpenSDA driver seems okay.

OpenSDA Serial Port Okay .PNG

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello calebrust, 

There may be a compatibility issue with the latest Kinetis Protocol Analyzer and the KW2x_SnifferOnUART version. 

Did you try using the USB firmware (KW24_802.15.4_SnifferOnUSB.srec) provided in \Test Tool 12\images, then put  J3 jumper in [2-3] position and use the microUSB port?

0 Kudos

calebrust
Contributor III

Hello Juan,

• You are probably correct about the KW2x_SnifferOnUART compatibility.  
  • I wasn't able to find any images called (KW24_802.15.4_SnifferOnUSB.srec), perhaps I have an old TestTool install...
  • I found one called (KW24D512USB_Sniffer.srec), which I loaded onto the TWR board via mini USB, and then I put the J3 jumper into the 2-3 position, and plugged it into micro USB, and IT WORKED!

The KW24 TWR board appears as "KW24D Channel xx" in the Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter.  This tower board combined with the USB-KW24D512 I already have allows me to monitor 2 channels simultaneously in Wireshark.  Now I can write a custom protocol dissector in Lua to dissect the custom protocol. 

Thank you so much!

rculley
Contributor I

Juan,

This looks great.  I would love to leverage the USB-KW24D512 to do more than just receive.  I am trying to talk to a MC13237 that is using SMAC and want to use the USB dongle to do it.  Is there chance to use the packet sniffer code to write SMAC out as well as receive it? Or is there a base USB project that would do Wireless on the USB-KW24D512? or is this where you use the Beekit to generate some framework that I need to finish?

Thanks,

RCulley

0 Kudos

jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Robert,

Indeed, the USB-KW24D512 can be used also as a development board. You can use SMAC or any 802.15.4-based protocols/applications with the board.

Please take a look into the software available for this platform.

This includes the latest version of the Kinetis Packet Analyzer

-    

JonathanHess
Contributor III

Great contribution.  Could we also get the source for the kw2x as well as the usb to network daemon running on the host?  Both would serve great as sample code.

0 Kudos

AlanCollins
Contributor V

The USB firmware (.srec) can be downloaded within the USB-KW24D512 Board Support Package

josedanielpena
Contributor II

Great Post! I will use it a LOT!

I didn't know that wireshark could analyse the packets.

I have a question: I already have some of the old sniffers with the MC1322X chip. I tried these but didn't worked. Is there a way to use them with wireshark too?

CapturaWiresharkZigbeeKW2X.png

Thank you!

0 Kudos

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Jose,

If you would like to use the MC1322x USB dongle sniffers with Wireshark, you may follow the steps listed in the following document.

Using Wireshark protocol analyzer and MC1322x USB dongle

Hope it helps.

Regards,

AngelC

jasonchiang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi JC,

Thanks ! I just installed Wireshark Packet Analyzer. One more option to analyze packet.